Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway desktop not starting correctly

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Arlothia

Arlothia

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

Hi all,

My dad's computer is being a bit finicky and not starting properly. When we try to start it we get a screen saying:

your-pc-ran-into-a-problem-and-needs-to-

(it might have been slightly different than this but it's the closest one I could find. I can take a picture of it if you need)

After that came a screen that said:

automatic-repair.jpg

"Restart" didn't work and when we pressed "Advanced Options, we saw the blue screens that can be found here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-10-in-safe-mode-with-networking/

of the options indicated in picture 3, we have tried (with no success):

System Restore

Startup Repair

Go back to the previous build

For Startup Settings, we've only tried opening it in Safe Mode with Networking, but that didn't work either. We've also hard booted it twice.

My dad's going to be getting a new computer regardless of what happens, but he just wants all of his files back. If we can't find a solution on here then he's going to go to Staples to have them help recover his data.

Specs (what I could get on the sticker on the side):

Gateway DX4860-UB32P

Originally Windows 7 but transferred over to Windows 10

64 bit

1TB HD

6 GB DDR3 memory

Intel Core i3 processor 2010

Here's more on cnet: https://www.cnet.com/products/gateway-dx4860-ub32p-core-i3-2120-3-3-ghz-6-gb-1-tb/specs/

Any and all suggestions or advice you can give pertaining to getting the computer to start properly, where to go to get it fixed/the files back, etc. would be very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Arlothia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,029 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

Hi, Arlothia,

Can you take a picture of the BSOD and post it here? Please try disabling Driver Signature Enforcement and see whether if the computer can boot.

Regards,

bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

@bwv848 - I can't get a picture of the BSOD because my dad currently has his computer in his car to bring it into the store tomorrow. He might plug it back in later and I can get it to you then, as well as trying to disable the DSE. I'll let you know what happens!

Edited by Arlothia, 09 August 2017 - 09:04 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:16 PM

Okay, no problem. FYI, I think bringing it to Staples is waste of money. You could easily pull out the files with a Linux rescue disc (provided the drive is not encrypted)... a quick Google search will reveal hundreds of guides.

Edited by bwv848, 09 August 2017 - 09:16 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:36 PM

Duly noted, thank you! Would you recommend this disc: https://www.amazon.com/SystemRescueCD-Linux-System-Rescue-v5-0-0/dp/B01MRR9KJE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1502332154&sr=8-3&keywords=Linux+rescue+disc

And would this help to access files so we can transfer them to another computer?

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:01 PM

No, I wouldn't. :) You shouldn't have to buy any rescue disk. Here's a tutorial how to recover files from Windows with Puppy Linux:

https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html

Wouldn't bother with the disk check for now.

#7 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:35 PM

Awesome! I love it when it's free! So if the DSE doesn't work, is there something else I can try before doing the disk check? Also, my dad wants to make sure that the rescue disk will not mess up/damage/delete/otherwise harm his files. Is it a guarantee that it won't just by using it?

Thank you so much for all your help!

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:43 PM

I don't see how the rescue disk can harm his files (unless you delete the files by accident). The only thing I can think of is that, if the hard drive is failing, when you transfer files over it could make the hard drive's condition slightly worse just by reading the files. (Actually this is one of the reasons why I'm trying to avoid a disk check/diagnostic, because if the hard drive is dying, it could make it worse.) However, this is highly unlikely, and if you were to bring it to Staples, they would most likely do the same thing—use Linux and pull the files out.

Once I know the BSOD bugcheck, I'll have a much better idea what's going on.

#9 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:16 PM

That makes total sense. We just wanted to be absolutely sure.

Okay, so we tried disabling the Driver Signature Enforcement but that didn't work. And we didn't have a camera ready when the BOSD showed up so that will have to come sometime tomorrow later in the day.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:51 AM

Okay, no problem. 

#11 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:40 PM

Alright, so a few things:

1) I have the pictures for you but I'm not exactly sure how to attach it on here...How do I do that?

2) My brother has a friend who's really good at computers so he's actually pulling up right now.

3) My dad went to Staples today to ask them if they'd be able to just copy all of his files over to a backup drive he just bought and if this friend who's over can't help then he'll go that route. There are a lot of really important files on his computer and he just doesn't want to take any chances.

4) However! We will still get the recovery disk and try it out after the files have been copied. Hopefully we'll never need it but just in case, we want to make sure it works properly.

We cannot thank you enough for all of your help! You are amazing and very much appreciated! I'll keep you updated!

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:06 PM

To post a photo, please click Reply to this topic on the top right-side of the page. Next, on the bottom, under Attach Files, click Browse..., then click Open, and finally Attach This File. To finalize and post your post, click Add Reply.

Edited by bwv848, 10 August 2017 - 10:07 PM.

#13 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:05 AM

Thanks!

Okay, so here they are (sorry for the crappy quality):

Attached File  IMG_03331.JPG   91.45KB   0 downloads

Attached File  IMG_03341.JPG   103.82KB   0 downloads

As for what our friend said, he thinks that (hopefully) it's the sector to the hard drive might be bad and not the whole hard drive. When the computer is starting there's this little progression circle thing that keeps spinning and he can feel the hard drive trying to work and there's no clicking sounds so he's hoping it's just the sector. So he took the hard drive and will be putting it in his toaster to diagnose what the problem is and, if all goes well, get the files off of the drive! Wish us luck!

#14 Arlothia

Arlothia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:17 PM

Well...It wasn't the sector. Crap. And my dad hasn't done a backup in a long time either. The guy who came over yesterday knows someone who might be able to get some stuff off of it, but we have no idea what (if anything) is still salvageable.

#15 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,029 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

Well did you try to boot the computer up with Linux?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users