Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I stop the auto pop up videos found on many news sites in all browsers?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 eyespider

eyespider

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

Hi I've tried media.playback.enable = false in mozilla config however this disrupts youtube. Nothing plays on it.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/police-chief-calls-parents-help-13455670

If you click on a story on my local new site it auto starts downloading and playing a video. Sometimes I just want to read the story. There must be a way to disable this without disturbing youtube?

Also annoying are the videos that follow you down the page when you scroll down.

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2017 - 05:50 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

Get the Ghostery addon and check all video players in it's settings.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ghostery/

#3 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

No script would also be a good one for you.

#4 elchapetas

elchapetas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:08 AM

privacy badger might also help

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:36 AM

I used to use Adblock Plus, HTTPS Everywhere, and Ghostery add-ons/extensions under both Firefox and Chrome.

Based on information on these forums I dropped Adblock Plus and Ghostery and substituted uBlock Origin for the two of them.  I am not denigrating either of those products, both of which are good, but I am impressed at how uBlock Origin combines their functions and actually blocks certain things I had had no success in blocking in the past.  It also does so without disabling scripts which, for me, is a no-go as it disables too much wanted functionality.

Edited by britechguy, 10 August 2017 - 08:42 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 eyespider

eyespider
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

Hi thanks I've installed Ghostery I will now check out the others. many thanks

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

Noscript is pretty effective for this, by pretty effective I mean nothing more than images and text load until you choose to allow otherwise. Available for firefox. I swear by this add-on/extension myself and haven't browsed any sites, bar a small number of trusted ones that I've accessed via another browser, without it for several years. This extenson will take some getting use to, you'll have to get to grips with the fact that you'll be often reloading a page a few times when you first open it until you can pick the necessary sites to allow scripts from. Personally I feel this a price worth paying to control what type of content loads in my browser, but you might find it weird at first. You can choose to allow sites like youtube while not letting others play videos.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users