Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% HDD Disk Usage on Alienware Aurora R5

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:53 PM

Alienware Aurora R5 Base
2TB 7200RPM 6Gb/s
1TB Hybrid drive (Seagate, user installed aftermarket)
850W PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 with 8 GB GDDR5
Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (4-Cores, 8MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, Overclocked up to 4.2GHz on all four cores)
Windows 10 Home-HE (64bit) English
16GB DDR4 at 2133MHz

I bought this computer a year ago and have had this same issue on and off the whole time. I start the computer and the HDD disk usage is at 100% and the computer is really slow. Painfully slow. This usually goes on for a while, sometimes stopping and coming back, sometimes not stopping at all, forcing me to reboot. 

I thought it may be the HDD so I bought a second HDD, reinstalled windows on it, and once again the same issue. I've spoken to Dell multiple times, and they've tried a bunch of stuff as have I (disable superfetch, disable search, ect.). I even sent it out once for them to look at, and they wiped it and sent it back and said it's fine. 

I'm really at a loss as to what else to do. My warranty expires end of month and I have this same annoying issue still. Calling Dell pretty much has me going in circles trying the same things over and over, not to mention every person you speak to has a different solution for you that they think is right. One guy told me to reinstall Windows yet again, and the guy I spoke to yesterday seemed like he was clueless. 

I use this computer for freelance work so it's really screwing me. If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. I've been considering getting Windows 7 on this, but that seems like it could come with it's own set of problems, and I'm not sure if the hardware is even compatible. My only other thought is yet another Windows 10 reinstall. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:35 PM

windows 10 does some scheduled tasks when it first starts up.  like antivirus scans and defrag if it hasn't completed the scheduled weekly scan.

but you can turn these off.

#3 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:13 PM

after it starts, and is going slow, have you fired up Task Manager, gone to the Processes tab, clicked on the Disk column to see what the culprits are?

clicking that column will sort it accordingly and you'll see the worst offender listed on top.

next I would look at utilities like CCleaner and SSD Fresh to work out, and easily change, items that get started during boot or are in Task Scheduler.

SSD Fresh is handy to turn off Superfetch, Prefetch and all those services in one hit.  (you don't need a SSD to use it)

and if you are thinking of reloading Windows, I'd be taking the opportunity to replace that hybrid drive with a full on SSD.

personally, I've not seen a hybrid I've been happy with, and certainly, none have been any where near as fast as a full-on SSD.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#4 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

Thanks for the advice. I haven't had time to look into the above suggestions because I had to call Dell back again last night as I was getting some thermal error that kept popping up. The guy did a bunch of stuff and it seemed to be running well. 

The bizarre thing about the disk running at 100% is there's nothing in the processes tab that is super high usage when this is happening. It all looks really normal until I click the performance tab and the HDD is at 100%. I will try to get screenshots this weekend if it happens. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users