Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What's the best way to scan external harddrives?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

I have Kaspersky Total Security. I have many external hard drives, which I think could be infected. What's the best way to scan these external harddrives so that I can use them, without the infections coming into my laptop?

Usually when I connect external harddrives, it automatically opens up. I assume this would infect my laptop before getting a chance to scan it.

Is there a way to scan it before connecting to it? Thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 09 August 2017 - 01:36 PM.
Moved from External Hardware to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:57 PM

catch-22 situation.

can't scan an external drive unless connected, don't want to connect and get infected.

you can at least turn off AutoPlay, via Control Panel so the drive doesn't do any auto startup things.

once connected, right click that drive from File Explorer and your AV software should have an entry in the context menu to scan it.

Edited by dropbear, 09 August 2017 - 05:57 PM.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,962 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:28 PM

The classic way would be to boot an ephemeral session, having disconnected any internal hard drives, using previously created bootable media (preferably DVD so unwritable), either Linux Live or a dedicated recovery/emergency disc.

You used to be able to create a Rescue Disk 10 directly from within Kaspersky, but it seems from 2015 that was no longer there as an option, the procedure for creating a Rescue Disk is given here:

https://support.kaspersky.com/8092

I've found the Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 scanner very satisfactory, and with your own system hard drive(s) disconnected, no re-infection can occur. More modern systems lack an optical drive, so as their instructions indicate, a bootable flash drive is becoming more the norm. You can get secure ones with a physical write prevention switch if you want to be really cautious.

Edited by Platypus, 09 August 2017 - 07:30 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:49 PM

List of Anti-virus vendors that offer free LiveCD/Rescue CD utilities
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016