Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can my laptop become infected by other PC's using the same network?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ElectricYouth

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

I am the only one in my household that takes PC security seriously. Can my laptop become infected by their lousy PC's if we use the same internet?

Additionally, is using a cable to connect to internet safer than connecting wireless / wifi?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DelPomerinke

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

Think of it this way,

It's Flu season and you have had your recent Flu shot.  Would you rather be in a room for 8hrs with 50 people who have not had their shots or a room with 50 others who are indeed protected?

Security is often implemented at numerous and various layers: on the Perimeter, on the Gateways and Intermediate Layers as well as on the End Points.  The point being you are only secure as your weakest Link.

#3 Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:12 PM

In short : Yes to both of your questions.

Do you have kids ? You can always install avast on their computers, tweak it to high protection levels and set it to password lock so they won't uninstall it / get around it. That'll do for 99% of malware. If your computer is acting weird then consider running malwarebytes, zemana portable and hitmanpro, also consider running adwcleaner and jrt, all of these in combination will remove almost any malware, except for some advanced rootkits. If you run all of these and your computer is still acting weird then ask malware support on this site for help or reinstall your computer and configure your firewall to public network setting.

Links for the above mentioned :

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 26 August 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#4 britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,531 posts
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:31 PM

The answer is actually, "Yes, you can, for certain kinds of infections."

That being said, if your computer has any decent realtime scanning protection for viruses and malware you are most likely going to be just fine if you follow even most of the practices in Quietman7's Best Practices for Safe Computing  (or even a good deal of them).

Most, not all, but most computer infections are not really transmitted "through the air" like real infections can be and where being in close proximity to infected others is almost certain to infect you.  They generally require direct user action of some kind to invite them in.  The one best indicator of your potential for infection is your history of infection.   None of us have been merrily strolling through cyberspace not being surrounded by potential infections for a very, very long time now.   If you're not getting them, and I don't mean getting them but your security software neutralizing them, but not getting them at all (or very, very seldom) it matters little what surrounds you if you don't directly interact with it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users