Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Product Key Retrieval

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 leachim

leachim

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:19 AM

Win 10 hard drive failure

Hoping to download Win 10 from MS again and install on a new hard drive - but windows don't put a sticker with the Product ID on the outside

How do I retrieve the ID from any files on the hard drive ( which I can read) - it has bad sectors and won't boot.

I understand you can go to a MS site and type in the Product key and download the same version...?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,548 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

As far as I am aware the authorisation code for Win 10 is stored on the motherboard. Essentially once you have installed Win 10 and authenticated it you can re-install it as often as you wish. I have seen one report that says there is a limit of 50 times to the 'as often as you wish' bit but not many will ever come close to that.

And you can replace a hard drive and re-install without any problems. There may be a problem if you have to change a mobo as MS have always considered that a new mobo equalled a new computer but at the same time they have always been fairly reasonable about accepting that mobos can fail.

With Win 10 you can download the ISO from MS burn it to a DVD or USB drive and install from that and authentication will be automatic.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:47 PM

If you downloaded it you're OK.

#4 leachim

leachim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

As far as I am aware the authorisation code for Win 10 is stored on the motherboard. Essentially once you have installed Win 10 and authenticated it you can re-install it as often as you wish. I have seen one report that says there is a limit of 50 times to the 'as often as you wish' bit but not many will ever come close to that.

And you can replace a hard drive and re-install without any problems. There may be a problem if you have to change a mobo as MS have always considered that a new mobo equalled a new computer but at the same time they have always been fairly reasonable about accepting that mobos can fail.

With Win 10 you can download the ISO from MS burn it to a DVD or USB drive and install from that and authentication will be automatic.

Chris Cosgrove

Maybe I was confusing having to type the product key in on the MS site before it was downloaded for WINS 7

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

Chris Cosgrove

Maybe I was confusing having to type the product key in on the MS site before it was downloaded for WINS 7

Yes Windows 10 is post-product key. No more need for a pesky product key.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

@leachim,

also, while installing Windows 10, it'll ask you to type in your Product Key, you simply answer "I don't know it" ans it'll continue with the install.

Once you get the PC online, it'll auto activate with the MS servers.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#7 leachim

leachim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:51 AM

:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users