Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't view some websites in Linux Mint 18.2...

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:20 AM

Hello,

Yes, Mint Xfce 17.3 works perfectly fine...However, I will try out a few more options before installing...

The Xfce editions based on Ubuntu 14.04 are going to be your best shot, unless you desire to learn Puppy, which I doubt is the case. :)

What browser are you using that's giving so much trouble? The inbuilt Firefox should be working fine, unless you load up the extensions too much. NoScript & Adblock Plus are good to have, you'll just have to toggle any trusted sites with the NoScript control at right bottom of the screen. It's arguably the most powerful security extension of any browser & Firefox should be the most compatible with 32 bit Linux Mint at this time.

I don't know whether it would be wise to go for puppy. I have heard that the learning curve for puppy is a bit steep...

I always use the default browser in any OS(except in Windows of course); that's Firefox in Mint and Debian and Chromium in Peppermint, but neither works. I don't think this has anything to do with browsers, but maybe something to do with the fact that all these distros that I have tried(Mint 18.1 Xfce,Mate and Mint 18.2 Xfce and Peppermint 8) are all based on the same version of  Ubuntu(16, right?)

Should we try LMDE 2 once too?

Thanks

RJ

Edited by RJNB, 13 August 2017 - 08:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 654 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

Hello,

Yes, Mint Xfce 17.3 works perfectly fine...However, I will try out a few more options before installing...

Should we try LMDE 2 once too?

Thanks

RJ

Why don't you just install Linux Mint Xfce 17.3 and enjoy learning while using.

Just my thoughts.

Forget about Antix / LMDE 2 / Puppy  for now until you become more familiar and accustom to how Linux Mint works as these do have somewhat of a learning curve.

You my friend are going to burn yourself out so take a break and install Linux Mint Xfce 17.3 and enjoy the adventure.

Just some thoughts.

Linux Mint 18 Xfce (32bit) / Hp Pavilion d4650y (09 / 18 / 2006) / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6400 Conroe (2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 2M Cache, LGA 775 Socket) / DDR2 Memory 3.0 GB, 800MHz FSB / Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE [Nvidia G72] PCIE.

Linux Peppermint 8 (32 Bit) / Dell Optiplex 360 (11 / 28 / 2008) / Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E6300 Conroe (1.86 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB, 2M Cache, LGA 775 Socket) / DDR2 Memory 3.0 GB, 800MHz FSB / Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 7300 LE [Nvidia G72] PCIE.

#18 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:40 AM

RJ, I believe that you're not going to find a more compatible OS for your current hardware than Linux Mint 17.3 Xfce at this time. :)

While you're always free to do so, I found LMDE the absolute worse of the Mint series, due to the type of installer used. Plus any Debian distro is a rolling release, meaning you're going to be updated to the latest anyway, as I understand & why it's called that type of distro. You don't want to install, update & then find yourself back in the same boat you've been through with Mint 18.2. Note that the Live distro you're booting into, if not the latest, will be updated to such & you may see more updates than on a Mint 17.3 distro, whereas the latter is stable. 

Plus you stated earlier that you needed a 'few more months' on this computer, well Mint 17.3 (be it Xfce or MATE) will give you that time, it's supported until April 2019. By then you'll have 20 months to come up with funding for a new(er) notebook that's 64 bit & will run rings around your current setup. In fact, if you wait a year for retailers to clear out the DDR3 (last gen) backstock, you can be running the latest in a DDR4 RAM equipped model at no added cost. Pricing is very competitive for powerful mid class notebooks. many of which features discrete graphics, a PCIe SSD + 500 to 1 TiB HDD (sometimes only PCIe SSD), yet still you'll end up gaining by riding out what you have for the next 19 months. 

So I recommend to go ahead with a Mint 17.3 install & be learning some Linux skills to carry with you over to your next notebook. While running Live media is good for testing, and if on a burned, finalized DVD (no RW media nor USB stick), makes a great choice for making transactions, you're not going to be learning much in that manner & experience is what you need. Considering how long it's been since you've been interested in Linux, it's also time to settle for a distro that'll run on your current hardware. If you like Linux Mint, there's a Cinnamon version available that's perfect for newer computers of all types & often called the ultimate Windows 7 replacement OS (or dual boot with). :)

RJ, at this point, I have no further distro recommends, have a notebook of similar specs & Mint 17.3 seems to be the end of the line for myself also, as far as that computer goes. 

Good Luck with your final decision, we'll always be here to assist with new issues arises, of course in a New Topic. :)

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w3mBsNE6cJXW7on5sbNTFDc  (Updated 10/07/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running AMD Phenom x4 965 CPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c0aVnEnmxFmqX5Pf1nOhCKf   (Updated 10/10/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MLv5xbYuI2vsLqvtS4PaDGB  (Updated 10/20/2017)

#19 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

Hello,

I guess I will go ahead and install 17.3 Xfce as suggested by everyone...

However, there is one issue which I would like to discuss...Will create a new topic with the appropriate title...

This one can be closed now. :thumbup2:

Thanks a lot everyone!

RJ

Edited by RJNB, 20 August 2017 - 10:21 AM.

#20 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,897 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:07 PM

Or Mate...Mate

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#21 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:46 AM

Hello,

Although we decided to go back to 17.3, I think it might be a good idea to let the people working on mint know about this... I have already contacted mint support and some users tried to assist me but most of the suggestions they offered were already discussed here and did not work for me...So, I am thinking of reporting this as a potential bug/hardware incompatibility/lack of proper drivers issue.

The question is how do I do that? Is there some sort of bug reporting tool in mint or should I simply create a thread in the Mint forums? All ideas and suggestions as welcome as usual.

Sorry to revive this thread...

Thanks!

RJ

#22 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,570 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:07 AM

Hi

Try this

Bug reports

If you've noticed something that doesn't work properly while using Linux Mint, let us know. The problem you have discovered is likely to affect others as well; The sooner we know about it, the sooner we're able to fix it.

bugs.pngReport a bug

https://linuxmint.com/getinvolved.php

Regards

Nick

#23 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,677 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:52 AM

Or Mate...Mate

This! :thumbup2:

A fully featured distro that hardly uses any more resources, just a bit more on the drive. In that case, if you're performing advanced partitioning, make the root partition larger, /home doesn't need to be very large, as long as a lot of items aren't going to be stored. On the Linux Mint 18.2 version setup for my wife, although I'm the admin, being a dual boot with Windows 8.1 on a 180 GiB SSD. gave /root 20GiB, Linux Swap 1GiB, and /home about 11GiB. Made the right decision because while root is half full (why I'd give it 40GiB on a larger SSD), /home is using only 4% of it's allocated space, so if I have to reinstall, will adjust partition sizes (24GiB for root & just over 7GiB for /home). On a SSD, more freespace matters, keeping the partition using the most space is of high priority. 

One thing that mat be worth considering, being you're low on drive space, get a 32GiB USB stick, remove your internal drive so that the Grub bootloader doesn't overwrite the XP one, and install Linux Mint on that, would be plenty of room. You don't have to perform advanced partitioning if not comfortable (although you should eventually learn :)), use the option to install Linux Mint 17.3 on the entire USB stick & update, then shut down computer & reinstall the XP drive. When desired, plug the USB stick in & boot from it, yet don't perform any operations that requires that Grub be updated with the drive in place. Examples are updates to Grub itself or kernel updates that'll automatically perform the operation. Fortunately, you're in control of updates, so can remove the internal drive when these updates are needed, for that matter, can avoid Grub upgrades, and I don't expect newer kernels for Mint 17.3 with less than 18 months of support remaining. :)

Mint 17.3 should run w/out troubles on your hardware, the configuration is very similar to my IBM T42 ThinkPad. Have you tried a new install to see how things goes? Or better yet, the USB stick option, which I'd do with a small HDD, Mint will actually run faster on the USB stick, as long as it's at least 16GiB, although at today's price point, 32GiB is a better deal, double the space for just a little more cash. Today, unless for an installer, wouldn't consider any USB stick (or SDHC card) under 32GB in size. 

RJ, what exactly is the issue with your install? We may be able to assist if you provide more details, like telling us what's not working. Note that network issues can be complex, and may not be the fault of the hardware, unless a dated wireless card that Mint doesn't provide drivers for any longer. We've successfully assisted members to get over the hump with this issue more times than I can count, provided that the network itself (modem & router) is healthy.

Also, in order to provide you the best possible assistance, you need to hang around with your Topic, dropping in & out every few months or weeks doesn't help. Sticking to the matter & answering replies ASAP will help, while we realize that you can't be here 24/7 (neither can the rest of us), when there's an issue, you need to have & display a sense of urgency to get to the bottom of matters. :thumbup2:

We look forward to your reply, hopefully sooner rather than later, with more detail of your main issue that was last mentioned, or describe to the best of your ability. Trust me, whatever your issue is, it's likely already been asked & addressed hundreds of times by others over time. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 01 November 2017 - 05:52 AM.

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/w3mBsNE6cJXW7on5sbNTFDc  (Updated 10/07/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running AMD Phenom x4 965 CPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/c0aVnEnmxFmqX5Pf1nOhCKf   (Updated 10/10/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/MLv5xbYuI2vsLqvtS4PaDGB  (Updated 10/20/2017)

#24 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:30 AM

Hello,

RJ, what exactly is the issue with your install? We may be able to assist if you provide more details, like telling us what's not working. Note that network issues can be complex, and may not be the fault of the hardware, unless a dated wireless card that Mint doesn't provide drivers for any longer. We've successfully assisted members to get over the hump with this issue more times than I can count, provided that the network itself (modem & router) is healthy.

Also, in order to provide you the best possible assistance, you need to hang around with your Topic, dropping in & out every few months or weeks doesn't help. Sticking to the matter & answering replies ASAP will help, while we realize that you can't be here 24/7 (neither can the rest of us), when there's an issue, you need to have & display a sense of urgency to get to the bottom of matters. :thumbup2:

We look forward to your reply, hopefully sooner rather than later, with more detail of your main issue that was last mentioned, or describe to the best of your ability. Trust me, whatever your issue is, it's likely already been asked & addressed hundreds of times by others over time. :)

Cat

There seems to be some confusion which I will try to clear...

• I have an issue connecting to certain websites in Linux mint 18,18.1,18.2 (Xfce and Mate) as described in the opening post of this topic...However, as the subsequent posts mention, we decided that an easy workaround would be going back to Mint 17.3...
  • As pointed out by someone(probably Al), I should have tested 18.x before an actual install. So this time, I ran 17.3 from the usb for around a month to check for any issues so that they could be discussed before an actual install was done. That is what I was doing all this time...
  • I found two issues which are being discussed in my other topic- https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/660367/some-problems-in-live-session-of-mint-173-xfce/
  • Now that I have decided to stick with mint 17.3(as I have no issues in 17.3 other than the minor ACPI warning), I thought that reporting this network issue I am facing in mint 18.x might be a good idea in case someone else is also facing it...
  • Of course, if anyone has any advice which could help with this network issue, feel free to post! :)
  • I understand that I should respond to replies as soon as possible and avoid long delays as far as possible...I will make it a point to respond sooner in the future and am sorry for not doing so in th past.
  • However, as for this topic, I had no intentions of replying to this thread (as we have found a workaround) but then the thought that I should report this occurred to me...Maybe I should not have revived this thread but instead asked someone by PM so as to avoid any confusion...

Hope that clears things up...Again, sorry if reviving this thread was not the right thing to do...I also apologise for any confusion I have caused...

Hi

Try this

Bug reports

If you've noticed something that doesn't work properly while using Linux Mint, let us know. The problem you have discovered is likely to affect others as well; The sooner we know about it, the sooner we're able to fix it.

bugs.pngReport a bug

https://linuxmint.com/getinvolved.php

Regards

Nick

Thanks Nick! Will do that soon...

Thanks to all for their help!

RJ

#25 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,897 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

I know that you've tried many things RJ, but here is someone else with similar issues that may enlighten you to what may be wrong.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=202995&sid=716178533d26718f6fc46d8add691ee7#p202995

Interestingly enough, you both were dual booting with XP if I remember right.  It's old yes, but it may not be Mint 18.xx, that may be a coincidence.

Continue with your bug report if you like also.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#26 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:29 AM

Hello,

I know that you've tried many things RJ, but here is someone else with similar issues that may enlighten you to what may be wrong.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=202995&sid=716178533d26718f6fc46d8add691ee7#p202995

Interestingly enough, you both were dual booting with XP if I remember right.  It's old yes, but it may not be Mint 18.xx, that may be a coincidence.

Thanks for your help! I remember reading that topic a while ago when I first encountered this issue; but since I don't think I use any proxies(I don't remember setting one up), it seems like a bit different issue...Yet, I will check if I am using any proxy/anything else that might affect connectivity.

Thanks!

RJ

#27 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 04:18 AM

Hello,

I have created a bug report here : https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1730043

Please let me know if you think that there is something else I must try to fix this issue or add to the report...

Thanks!

RJ

#28 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:30 AM

RJ, you done the right thing in filing the bug report. :)

Had to do the same a couple of years back. With Mint, or most any distro based on Ubuntu, there's an option to install a desktop accessory called 'cpufreq' that's good for power users & though who needs the best battery life possible. After a Mint MATE 17.2 upgrade, it showed only powersave & performance, and not all the rest of the frequencies, to include Turbo, on Haswell & Ivy Bridge CPU's. 

Didn't take long for the fix to be found & posted, had to use a text editor (modifying one line) to allow a feature of these CPU's, so that cpufreq would work. Here's my submitted question & fix posted, which I now use on most Mint installs running on Intel CPU's. :)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1478793

See, filing bug reports are to your advantage, these are volunteers assisting as many as possible, although there'll be times when they'll have to wait & see if others also files, or resort to duplicating the issue. While I was the one to be notified of all changes, as can be seen in the list, 34 others (to include the Linux Mint Bug Squad) also clicked that the request notification tab. Goes to show when one files a report, others piles on. :thumbsup:

At any rate, via the bug report, was able to use my most frequently accessed app, while normally leave in the default position (on demand), there's times when performance has to be jacked up & less often, a few that requires as much battery life as possible. :)

So when all else fails, bug reporting is to our advantage and at no cost to anyone. :)

Cat

#29 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,897 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:37 AM

Hello,

but since I don't think I use any proxies(I don't remember setting one up), it seems like a bit different issue...Yet, I will check if I am using any proxy/anything else that might affect connectivity.

Thanks!

RJ

You may not have setup a Proxy, it could be part of the Network you are on.  Some countries, businesses etc. will use proxy's.

https://www.whatismyip.com/what-is-a-proxy/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#30 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:25 AM

Hello,

Hello,

but since I don't think I use any proxies(I don't remember setting one up), it seems like a bit different issue...Yet, I will check if I am using any proxy/anything else that might affect connectivity.

Thanks!

RJ

You may not have setup a Proxy, it could be part of the Network you are on.  Some countries, businesses etc. will use proxy's.

https://www.whatismyip.com/what-is-a-proxy/

Thanks for that link...Didn't really know much about proxies-like I said,I never had to set up one, so never bothered to find out. :lol:

However, even if it is a part of my network, then why would an earlier version of Mint have no problems connecting while newer versions of the same OS would?

I tried that proxy test, but it said that it did not detect a proxy. Does that mean that we can rule out a proxy issue or would you recommend some more tests/commands?

Thanks!

RJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users