Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSODs Started Recently

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 774 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:37 AM

I reinstalled Windows 8.1 last week. Two days ago I started having BSOD crashes. They seem to happen when unplugging something from a USB port and when downloading. USB issues are a big part of why I reinstalled Windows but didn't have crashes before.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BvySHdVg0TDrHcWp4D8YrIg

Attached Files

Edited by HyperHenry, 09 August 2017 - 08:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,955 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

Our main culprit:netr28ux.sys, an outdated USB wireless LAN card driver from 2013. Please reinstall it. I believe this is the download link for the driver: https://www.mediatek.com/products/broadbandWifi/rt2870

If you still get BSODs, please reinstall your USB drivers with the latest copy from your motherboard's website, and if that fails too, you'll have to replace the USB wireless LAN card (I suggest one that is connected directly to the motherboard).

Best regards,
bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 09 August 2017 - 09:56 AM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• 774 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:37 PM

It looks like I'll have to buy another LAN card. There is no onboard card and I already installed the drivers you sent the link to and the USB drivers. yesterday. I did however uninstall the ones I installed yesterday and downloaded and installed the ones from your link and I completely lost use of the USB ports. I had to do a system restore to be able to get back online. It also could be that the computer isn't recognizing the new drivers if it's showing the ones from 2013.

Edited by HyperHenry, 09 August 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:58 PM

The last thing I would try is updating the BIOS (if you know what you're doing). It may be risky, but it may help. Other than that, suggest you buy a high-quality PCI-E wireless adapter.

BTW, if you have the patience and the warranty on the USB networking device is still valid, I would ask for a refund.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• 774 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

Warranty way past expired. Even after updating the usb drivers I now only have 1 working port. I was looking for them online to replace it but only finding hubs. What exactly do you call them?

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

Did the USB ports stop working right after you installed the new networking drivers? Can you get a flashlight, is there any physical damage to the USB ports? Do you see the USB ports in the BIOS?

Edited by bwv848, 09 August 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• 774 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:54 PM

They've been slowly failing for a long time. They got worse after I reinstalled Windows and stopped altogether when I installed the lan drivers this morning. I'll look in the bios and see right now. The BIOS does recognize it and my headphones work so apparently the USB ports are ok.

Edited by HyperHenry, 09 August 2017 - 03:01 PM.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

Did you reinstall the drivers using the exact ones on your motherboard's/manufacturer's website?

#9 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• 774 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:23 PM

Yes I did and I think I've solved the problem. I had an extention cord on it because I had the antenna/adapter in another room. I took it off and now all the USB ports recognize it.

Edited by HyperHenry, 09 August 2017 - 04:24 PM.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,955 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:39 PM

Glad you got the issue resolved. Anything else that I can help with, please let me know.

Regards,

bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 09 August 2017 - 08:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users