Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitdefender Threat Scanner - possible solution?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:58 AM

I reset my laptop 3 days ago completely, only keeping windows. I chose "remove files and clean the drive", so no files could be recovered.

As soon as this process was completed, I downloaded and installed Kaspersky Total Security. Then I also installed Spybot Search & Destroy and AVG TuneUp.

I did a full scan with kaspersky and Spybot and optimalized my PC with AVG TuneUp. Then I downloaded and installed all importand & optional windows updates.

While installing these updates I noticed that whenever I reboot my laptop the BitDefender Threat Scanner error shows up for a few sseconds, but everything else is fine.

I read many threads about this on this forum and followed the guidelines on https://www.safer-networking.org/faq/bitdefender-threat-scanner-dmp/ and replaced the SDAV.dll file, even though its size was 32kb, identical to what it should be.

This didn't fix the issue. The BitDefender Threat Scanner error doesn't bother me much, but I'm afraid it will ruin my laptop in the longrun if I don't fix it quickly.

Should I uninstall SpyBot to see if it fixes it? Or will this have consequences? And should I delete the .dmp file?

I am trying so hard to secure my PC completely, that's why I resetted my laptop to begin with. I don't want this to make my laptop vulnerable. Please give me advice on what to do.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:04 AM

Did you read these previous discussion topics?
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Windows Insider MVP 2017
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:19 AM

Yes, I read the 2nd link yesterday (on bleepingcomputer), and installed SystemLook, but when i type BitDefender it only says: "No Context: BitDefender".

I read the 1st link now and its solution is stated on this link: https://www.bitdefender.com/support/Bitdefender-Antivirus-Free-crash-on-09-04-2013-1124.html

It says "This article applies if you are using Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition, Bitdefender Antivirus Essentials and Bitdefender Essential Security."

I never installed BitDefender, but I read that SpyBot uses its engine. Does that mean I have to use that guide and download the patch in the link aswell?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,714 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:48 AM

Yes other anti-virus solutions use the Bitdefender engine as described here.

Possible Solutions if related to Spybot:
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#5 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:51 AM

ElectricYouth:

The message from SystemLook about "No Context ..." usually indicates a syntax error in the search parameters.  Please go to this link and ensure that the search syntax is correct.

Also, I would avoid using PC tuneup utilities of any description.  See this link and this link for more information.  Both articles are by quietman7, one of the foremost computer security experts here at Bleeping Computer.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#6 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

Yes other anti-virus solutions use the Bitdefender engine as described here.

Possible Solutions if related to Spybot:

I recovered all the quarantined files made by Spybot Search & Destroy and then uninstalled it. Instantly afterwards, the BitDefender error showed up (this was the only time this error showed up while on desktop / not rebooting laptop). Then I rebooted laptop and the error came again. Then I rebooted again and the problem was fixed. The error has vanished.

Does this mean that I can be absolutely sure that no damage has been made to my laptop by Spybot? Because directly after formatting/resetting my PC, I used those 3 programs to scan stuff and place things in quarantine before installing any windows updates (, and the update process didn't go so smoothly. Are there any steps I can take to see if no problems have been created due to this, without having to reset my laptop once again? Thanks in advance.

ElectricYouth:

The message from SystemLook about "No Context ..." usually indicates a syntax error in the search parameters.  Please go to this link and ensure that the search syntax is correct.

Also, I would avoid using PC tuneup utilities of any description.  See this link and this link for more information.  Both articles are by quietman7, one of the foremost computer security experts here at Bleeping Computer.

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Kaspersky Total Security, Spybot Search & Destroy and AVG TuneUp were recommended to me by my cousin. I myself have very little knowledge about PC security.

After reading the 2 links you provided, I can agree. However, what other options do I have, after I uninstall Spybot and AVG?

Before resetting my laptop, I installed Emsisoft because it was recommended by quietman7, however I had to remove it through safemode because no applications would run anymore due to an error created by Emsisoft. I think it may have been due to having other antivirus / malware programs installed at same time.

#7 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,662 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:34 PM

ElectricYouth:

Did you check to ensure that the SystemLook search syntax that you used was correct?  Bitdefender files and registry entries should have been detected if the search syntax was correct.  It would be best to be familiar with the names of key Bitdefender files, but searching the registry for "Bitdefender" should reveal if there are any Bitdefender entries (:filefind, and :regfind).

Kaspersky and Emsisoft are both well-respected anti-virus products.  Emsisoft Internet Security, in fact, uses the Bitdefender anti-virus scan engine.  If you have Windows 8, 8.1, or 10, you can get by with just using Windows Defender, but a lot of people, myself included (personal opinion) prefer to have anti-virus and anti-malware protection, distinct from Windows Defender.  The advantage of the Emsisoft product is that it combines both anti-virus and anti-malware capabilities in a single product.

Personally, I use Bitdefender 2018 Total Security, plus Malwarebytes Premium.  That is a personal choice, based on past use and experience.  If I was deciding today, I might decide differently.  I would certainly seriously look at Emsisoft Internet Security.

There is no one or two anti-virus/anti-malware products that are right for everyone.  It is a matter of personal preference, cost, performance, and the overhead imposed on your particular computer platform by such products.  There are other good products out there as well.

I do want to clarify that my comments about AVG related to their AVG TuneUp program, not to their anti-virus program, although I do think, personally, that there are better anti-virus products available.

And yes, it is quite possible that other anti-virus software was interfering with Emsisoft.  It is recommended to only one anti-virus product installed and active.  See this link by quietman7 for more information about why only one anti-virus program should be active, and how to choose an anti-virus product, and an explanation of what they do, and how they do it.

Most anti-virus products from other vendors turn Windows Defender off, although in Windows 10, Windows Defender can be set, with some of the other vendor products, to do periodic supplemental anti-virus scans.

I hope that this additional information is of assistance to you.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,714 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

I recovered all the quarantined files made by Spybot Search & Destroy and then uninstalled it. Instantly afterwards, the BitDefender error showed up (this was the only time this error showed up while on desktop / not rebooting laptop). Then I rebooted laptop and the error came again. Then I rebooted again and the problem was fixed. The error has vanished.

Does this mean that I can be absolutely sure that no damage has been made to my laptop by Spybot? Because directly after formatting/resetting my PC, I used those 3 programs to scan stuff and place things in quarantine before installing any windows updates (, and the update process didn't go so smoothly. Are there any steps I can take to see if no problems have been created due to this, without having to reset my laptop once again? Thanks in advance.

I have no idea what if any damage may have been done. Thus far, everyone who has reported the Bitdefender Threat Scanner issue has not reported any other problems. That is a question you may want to ask Spybot.
I suggest you contact Spybot Support through their forums or by contacting one of their support teams.I have not used Spybot products for years and most of our members do not use it either. In fact, mvps.org and many security experts are no longer recommending Spybot S&D due to poor testing results and ineffectiveness against current malware threats.

With that said and to be fair, there are now new versions of Spybot such as Spybot 2 + AV (Home & Pro) and Spybot 2 Free. Spybot 2 Live Protection is the TeaTimer replacement which monitors and scans every process created or running...blocking those it determines are malicious. I have never used any of these products so I cannot say how effective they are. However, you may want to read this article in regards to Spybot Search and Destroy 2.0 has bloatware issues

As for alternatives, garioch7 has provided good advice and recommendations. For other options, please read the following toppics.
Windows Insider MVP 2017

#9 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 04:13 AM

I read "Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools" again. I have a question regarding this sentence:

As a general rule, using more than one anti-malware program like Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, Emsisoft Emergency Kit, Windows Defender in Windows 7 and earlier, Zemana AntiMalware, etc. will not conflict with each other or your anti-virus if using only one of them for real-time protection and the others as stand-alone on demand scanners.

I have Kaspersky Total security. This is only an anti virus with real time protection right? Does that still mean that I can get i.e. Malwarebytes and turn on the real-time protection offered by malwarebytes as it is an anti-malware program?

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 49,714 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:10 AM

Yes you can use both. Just above that note I say you need both an anti-virus and an effective anti-malware solution with real-time protection for maximum protection.

Windows Insider MVP 2017

#11 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:01 AM

After reading your post, I am going to uninstall AVG TuneUp. Should I recover whatever actions the AVG has performed thus far?
Basically I resetted my laptop 1 week ago, and then used AVG TuneUp. In the rescue center it says I have performed registery cleaner twice, having deleted a total of 1800 files. And used shortcut cleaner and startup optimizer.

I am able to reverse these actions before uninstalling the program. What do you guys recommend?

#12 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

Hi, ElectricYouth!

Yes, we recommend that you recover/reverse all actions the AVG TuneUp has performed before uninstalling it. :thumbup2:

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 14 August 2017 - 10:32 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, SWB, WPP, HMP.A with CryptoGuard, CP, MB Free, SIRI and Unchecky, WFW, FF with µBO, Ghostery, HTTPS Ew and VTzilla. Acronis TI 2017, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 22 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#13 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

Thanks guys.

I am one step closer to improved security.

Since I have been derailing this thread a bit I think we can close it now.

Updates:
I installed Kaspersky Total Security and am about to purchase Malwarebytes 3 to run real-time protection on both programs at the same time.

Next step is to increase my network/router security.

:)

#14 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,662 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

ElectricYouth:

That sounds good: Kaspersky and Malwarebytes will provide a very high level of computer security against malware.

Thank you for letting us know what you are going to do.

On behalf of Bleeping Computer, stay safe out there in cyberspace!

Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users