Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Update

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 waveydavey

waveydavey

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:23 AM

When I start my system it refuses and I have to go to device manager and update scan for hardware changes.I have just had a" Intel Driver Utility is unable to start because a supporting system service failed to start"box come up.Anybody got any idea what this is and how to cure it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:38 AM

Has the update utility recently updated the graphics driver? If so try uninstalling that driver/restoring the previous driver.
I had problems with Intel's driver utility making the laptop unstable after updating, uninstalled it & not had trouble since.

#3 waveydavey

waveydavey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:59 AM

Thank you I will give it a go.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:44 AM

If the suggested method doesn't resolve this issue please do the following.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens Click on File which is in the upper left portion of the screen, then click on Publish Snapshot.

In the following screen click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 waveydavey

waveydavey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:50 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/pt0eHV2O8DVCdaGE5geasJk  Hi DC3 here is the Speccy log

Edited by waveydavey, 09 August 2017 - 06:52 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,680 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:53 AM

What is the model of this Acer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 waveydavey

waveydavey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:55 AM

It is a 3990x computer

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,680 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:53 AM

Bummer...  There are no Windows 10 drivers for your graphics.  The driver version  9.17.10.4459 is the most current version for your graphics.  You do have the option of upgrading your graphics card to one which would be compatible with Windows 10.  You have one PCIE x16 expansion slot.

#9 waveydavey

waveydavey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:48 AM

So what do I have to do to get my computer working correctly again?It seems a shame to scrap it because of one litle error..

Edited by waveydavey, 09 August 2017 - 09:49 AM.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

Looking at the very nature of the error message, "Intel Driver Utility is unable to start because a supporting system service failed to start," it is strongly suggestive not of an actual driver failure but of a burp of some sort going on with Windows 10 itself.

There are lots of reasons that Windows services may not start correctly.   I would be far more inclined to approach this by doing a System Restore back to a restore point prior to the issue occurring (if you have system restore on) and seeing if that corrects the issue.

If not, then it would be helpful to know what version and build number of Windows 10 you are currently running, which can be obtained by hitting the Windows Key and immediately typing "winver" (sans quotes).

If your machine has been running OK prior to this point, and for some time, this is unlikely to be a driver issue, per se.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#11 waveydavey

waveydavey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:03 AM

Hi my winver shows 1703 and build 15063540

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,622 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:40 PM

You're definitely on the very latest Version and Build.

Did this crop up immediately after those particular updates were applied?   A "how long has this been going on" assessment is necessary and pinpointing (or something close) when the issue began may be key to the solution.  I've definitely got devices running under Windows 10 using drivers that were not built for it, many are Windows 8 or Windows 7 drivers.

Windows 10 is, however, exquisitely sensitive to drivers like no other version of Windows I've ever worked with.

In checking the Update history on my own machine the update that brought us Build 540 appears to be:

2017-08 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4034674)

If you were not having the issue on Build 438, then either use system restore or the uninstall update feature to roll back and see if the issue goes away.  Then follow the advice here:

Edited by britechguy, 09 August 2017 - 01:43 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#13 waveydavey

waveydavey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

Thanks Britechguy I guess I will have to go with what iv'e got.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users