Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My DVD drive doesn't open anymore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:27 AM

It has been months, perhaps even a year or more, since I actually used it. A few days ago, I accidentally clicked on the icon for my DVD drive in Windows file explorer, and after a second or two an error message popped up, and I had my first clue something was wrong. I could probably reproduce the error message for purpose of posting a screenshot, if asked. I discovered that pressing the button on front of DVD drive failed to make it open (likewise for clicking icon in Windows file explorer).

I could just leave it like this, since I don't really use it, but I paid for the stupid thing and I want it to work even if I don't actually use it. Any suggestions as to how to get it to open and shut itself again, without breaking the thing?

Edited by yu gnomi, 09 August 2017 - 12:32 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:42 AM

you need a trusty paper clip.

unfold it and insert the straightened out wire into the small hole that will be along the front of the drive, usually around the eject button.

push it in until you feel a blockage, then push it in a bit harder and that will release the lock mechanism.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:54 AM

That worked! thank you.

Believe it or not I could not find a paper clip of that sort (I have a bunch of the folding variety tho). However, the straw taped to the side of a can of canned air did the trick. For the moment, it opens and closes if I keep the straw in, but if I take the straw out it locks up again. 

The straw sticks out a few inches from the drive, I can just cut it down to an appropriate size if need be.

#4 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:14 AM

or just attach the paper clip or (insert favourite tool here) with BluTac or similar to the side of your PC case.

if I had a dollar for every time a paper clip has done that job, I'd have a few bucks. :wink:

You won't regret it.

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:17 AM

Good idea. Since I rarely use the drive I will just tape something to the side of the case. It's night time where I am now, tomorrow I am sure I can get a paper clip from someone, since a plastic straw is pretty flimsy and will probably get mangled if I use it a lot.

Thanks for the tips.

#6 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:25 AM

yep, isn't that always the case, you trip over the things when not required but when you want, no, need one, do you think you can remember where it was you last saw one???

You won't regret it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users