Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Installation

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 bpaynetx87

bpaynetx87

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

Help on how to install Linux

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,007 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

Have a look at this topic -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/577719/never-tried-linux-before-read-this/

Chris Cosgrove

PS - Welcome to BC !

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 08 August 2017 - 05:22 PM.

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 bpaynetx87

bpaynetx87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:46 PM

I have a minor annoying problem...
I have a computer I haven't used in more than several years, and have no idea what my password was. It's a Dell with a Core i5 processor and Windows 7 Professional. It is very important to me to get my computer working again, even if I have to redo the whole thing from scratch...a reinstall, losing all of my old data . I don't want to download or purchase any software to crack the password. I have already tried to start up in Safe mode with command prompt, only to be brought right back to the login screen instead after I select the option and hit Enter(aarrggh!!!). I don't know what else to do. I don't have the Windows installation cd anymore that came with the computer, nor can I afford a new one, and certainly not a new computer (I'm very poor, unfortunately). So I guess I want to try installing a Linux version from a USB thumb drive at startup, so that I can simply do away with the Windows 7 partition altogether and start a new. I would like some advice or know-how as to compatibility of Linux on my computer. Would Ubuntu be a safe choice? Or what else should I try?

And here is where my second problem: I've already tried to restart my computer and hold F10 to enter BIOS to change the boot order to boot from USB to prepare for the Linux installation. What appears is this:

Edit Windows boot options for: Windows 7

Path: \windows\system32\winload.exe

Partition: 2
Hard Disk: 59a0c4d

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN ]

I have no idea what to do when I get to this point. It's not what I'm used to seeing when I try entering a BIOS. Anyone know what's going on and how to get me where I need to be?

The entire objective is to wipe the hard drive I have clean of my old OS by replacing it with Linux since I can no longer access Windows anyway, so I can have a working system again so I can work on my writing projects.

I pray someone will be able to get me fixed up where I need to be.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

Okay firstly do you have another PC to make a live USB with?

Secondly for newcommers to linux i highly recommend linux mint as your stepping stone but we want to see what you have.

What tool did you try to get your image onto your USB drive?

Make sure that you have the USB set up first you cannot simply copy and pate a .iso onto a USB it needs to be formatted and made readable.

You will need a app like unetbootin to make this work right

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/using-unetbootin-to-create-a-linux-usb-from-linux/

Edited by MadmanRB, 08 August 2017 - 08:48 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 bpaynetx87

bpaynetx87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:52 PM

Yes I can take the USB drive to the library and download the file(s). I'm unsure of what you mean by using a tool to get an image onto my USB drive. I am trying to set up my BIOS to boot from USB so that when I download Linux onto the USB drive I can install it onto my computer that I can no longer access (because I have no way to get through my own forgotten password on Windows 7). Read my post above again...

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

For your computer to read the USB it will need to be formatted and made readable by the BIOS, its like making it into a windows 7 DVD.

You can also do this with your main computer, that is if you have more than one on hand.

If not try OSdisc which offer pre burnt DVD's and or imaged USB's

https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/linuxmint?affiliate=linuxmint

USB thumbdrives tend to be more reliable

Edited by MadmanRB, 08 August 2017 - 09:01 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:27 AM

Not to step on any toes here.

What I have do is create a bootable DVD.

If using Windows create a bootable DVD using infrarecorder and write image to DVD.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/infrarecorder.html

Place DVD in DVD tray and restart computer while holding down whatever key brings up boot menu.

You need to know what F key brings up the boot menu at start up or you can go into bios and set your 1st boot from CD / DVD.

Once you have booted from DVD than let the DVD run and then follow the instructions on the menu screens.

Here are some links for Linux Mint altough it is for Linux Mint Cinnamon it will be the same for any version you chose.

I would recommend Linux Mint 18 Sarah Xfce as it is a good place to start learning Linux.

Documantion Linux Mint.

https://linuxmint.com/documentation/user-guide/Cinnamon/english_18.0.pdf

Linux Mint iso download link.

https://linuxmint.com/download_all.php

What ever choice of media you use to boot from is up to you and in most cases both work well I just prefer using a DVD.

Hope his helps.

Toolman

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 bpaynetx87

bpaynetx87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the help. I still have the issue getting into the BIOS, however. Instead of taking me to the normal setup, it shows a screen with what I wrote above. Should I unplug my hard drive and/or remove the CMOS battery, and then try it again, or what?

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

Being it's a Dell computer F2 I believe will get you in to the bios if tapping or holding it upon a restart.

F12 key should take you to the start up menu if tapping or holding it upon a restart.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

For your computer to read the USB it will need to be formatted and made readable by the BIOS, its like making it into a windows 7 DVD.

You can also do this with your main computer, that is if you have more than one on hand.

If not try OSdisc which offer pre burnt DVD's and or imaged USB's

https://www.osdisc.com/products/linux/linuxmint?affiliate=linuxmint

USB thumbdrives tend to be more reliable

Since you have no way to download and create your own installation disc for Linux, I also recommend that you buy your installation disc at this site. It is a great place for beginners to get their first copy of Linux.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#11 bpaynetx87

bpaynetx87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

😂 I just removed the password jumper for the BIOS. So I'm past the BIOS issue... I have changed the boot sequence to boot from USB first. Now, what link do I go to and exactly what do I need to download onto the USB thumb drive so that I have all the data on it I need to do a full Linux install when I boot the computer up? I have a Dell Optiplex 790 with a Core i5 processor and USB optical mouse and keyboard and a Philip's DVD ROM player. I am not a complete noob to Linux. I want something good that is compatible with my system. And what is a really good word processor I can download or use since I will be using it primarily for writing?

Also, just making sure, I don't have to have my Windows 7 login password to overwrite the partition it's on, correct?

Thanks for your help guys!

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:41 PM

Here is what to do

First go here to install a app called unetbootin

there is actually a tutorial on how to use it here:

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/using-unetbootin-to-create-a-live-usb-linux/

There is also lili another linux pendrive tool:

https://www.pendrivelinux.com/linux-live-usb-creator/

both are great and easy

As a recommendation for your system Linux Mint 18.2 cinnamon 64bit is what I suggest and you can get that here:

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Linux mint is dead easy and simple and will come with libreoffice suitable for your word processor needs

As for how to install linux mint here is a video:

There is also this great tutorial:

Edited by MadmanRB, 09 August 2017 - 09:10 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#13 bpaynetx87

bpaynetx87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

What if I want to install Ubuntu 10? If I download ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso onto my usb drive, is that all I need when my computer boots? Or do I have to do more than that?

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:21 PM

What if I want to install Ubuntu 10? If I download ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso onto my usb drive, is that all I need when my computer boots? Or do I have to do more than that?

You can not. Ubuntu 10 came out 7 years ago, 2010, and it is LONG LONG gone. They are up to Ubuntu 17.04.

http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/01/evolution-of-ubuntu-over-years-brief.html

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 10 August 2017 - 01:23 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,819 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

One more thing. Do not download any ISO to a USB stick, ever. You really need to download all ISO files as a file that is stored on your hard drive, and then transfer it to a USB stick later.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users