Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on buying a refurb PC

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mac1012

mac1012

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Hi there I would like some adice on buying a cheap refurb computer;

I need a desktop for my studies , I have been looking at a few models and have become a bit overloaded in making a choice.

the one I have been looking at mainly are :

http://microdream.co.uk/lenovo-thinkcentre-m58p-core-2-duo-2-53-2-93ghz-4gb-ddr3-160gb-dvd-windows-7-home-premium.html#.WYn4F42otYc

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Windows-Dell-Optiplex-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B01CEJEB5O/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1502200873&sr=1-2&keywords=refurbished+pc

and

https://www.refreshedbyus.com/back-to-school-pc-deal

I am a bit confused as to what type would be suitable or best choice just for surfing web and word processing , youtube etc

Any help and advice as to which is the best processor would be great , thanks mark. btw way I am 53 and a bit of a technophobe :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

Personally I'd go with the HP deal as it also includes a monitor and they are tossing in a bunch of other stuff, wireless adapter, 16GB USB, and a web cam.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

Ditto...any computer can do all the mundane tasks, but you can use RAM amount as a basic comparison tool, all else being the same.  A system with 8GB RAM is what I consider a decent buy these days...more is better.

I have refurb Optiplex 755 with Win 7, 4GB RAM and a Core 2 Duo CPU (I purchased from Amazon a couple of years ago) and I suspect that it would perform better with more than the 4GB it came with.  It's just a backup so I cannot complain at all.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 August 2017 - 02:44 PM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

I would also get the HP, unless you have a monitor then get the Dell.

Really cant go worng with any of these computers, sure the core 2 duo is a old CPU but it is still quite a powerhouse even in the modern era.

Edited by MadmanRB, 08 August 2017 - 09:24 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 mac1012

mac1012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:43 AM

Thanks for your replies guys I haven't got a monitor , I was leaning towards the Lenovo but I guess like you said theres not a lot to choose between them.

I did see this one that has the I 3 processor and can go up to 8 gig of ram for 20 pounds more , they don't have an optical drive but they said they can fit on some models I can get the monitors and peripherals cheap enough the main thing I am focusing on is getting the best tower I can for my money. So would this be worth the extra money as opposed to a core 2 duo cpu ? . If they cant fit an optical drive  I have seen external rwdvd for 20 pounds do they work ok ? I would only choose this one if I am getting something that would be a noticeable difference in day to day usage rather than getting the core 2 duo type models.

here's the link to the  intel core i3 2100 below

https://www.encore-pc.co.uk/dell-optiplex-390-250gb-4gb-916

These look like good deals below for dell core 2 duo they said on phone has dvd and would be xtra ten pounds for rwdvd.

I don't think I would get any cheaper for core 2 duo only down side is its only 4 gig ram and miniumum 2ghz processing speed would be around 90 pounds all in with dvd rewriter if theres not much difference than the intelcore i3 2100 I may as well get this deal for the money. 

https://www.expertec.co.uk/desktoppcs/dell-optiplex-dt-core-2-duo-2gb-160gb-17-tft-windows-7-pro-1044.html

Thanks for any advice mark

#6 mac1012

mac1012
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:29 AM

Actually the more I look at it the more the HP deal makes sense that some of you had recommended they seem a better company and it has a DVDRW  installed , I notice on some of their pcs you can upgrade the ram so might ask them if they can do it on this one.

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users