Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why are my ads showing on my friend's computer?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

I've been searching for thermostats for my freezer and later, of course, I get the usual pop up ads for thermostats. My friend upstairs with whom I share the router is now getting these thermostat ads! So why is this happening and should it? Advice please - thanks.

I use Win 10 and he runs Win 7

Edited by zzzz, 08 August 2017 - 11:22 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:35 PM

The only logical reason I could see for this is if you two happen to be using the same browser and one of the two of you happens to be logged in to the browser itself using the same login ID.  If a sync function is active it's highly likely that cookies are being synced, and these get used to do "tailored advertising."

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for responding.

We have been sharing the router for 10 years without any such activity - it's very odd. Also we don't share any logins or anything else computerwise other than the IP address of the router. We have never connected as a network. I sync stuff with my other computers but they have never turned up on my friend's computer.

I have done much searching for stuff via google but no such glitch has ever occurred before. I wonder if it's a new google thing trying to expand their advertising reach using common routers? I don't think I've got any of his searches, as yet.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

You can avoid seeing those popup ads and other ads. Simply install an ad blocker. Your router could be the problem. If the solutions below

don't block the ads then you should reset and resecure the router.

You can block third party cookies from installing. Those are the ad/ tracking cookies. Once you have blocked them from

installing, use CCleaner to remove the existing ones.

How to disable third-party cookies in all major web browsers

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

If you don't have an ad blocker installed I suggest using Adblock Plus. Once installed click on the ABP icon at the top of your

browsers and choose Filter Preferences. Then UNcheck the box next to Allow some non-intrusive advertisements.

Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store   Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox   Adblock Plus for Edge browser   Adblock Plus for IE

For Firefox users I also recommend learning to use NoScript which is an excellent ad blocker and excellent security.

It will block web beacons and all of those malware scripts that attempt to install adware and malware on your computer by just visiting a compromised or

a criminal's website. NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox

From the Web:

A Web beacon is an often-transparent graphic image, usually no larger than 1 pixel x 1 pixel, that is placed on a Web site or in an email that is used to monitor the behavior of the user visiting the Web site or sending the email. It is often used in combination with cookies.

Scan for adware and malware using these programs:

Malwarebytes   AdwCleaner   Junkware Removal Tool

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:42 AM

with CCleaner, the normal build offers the Google Chrome stuff as stated by buddy215, but the Slim build is free of all that.

available from here; http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds

after a new release, Piriform puts up the Slim build, usually, about a week later.

and a small cautionary tale about ABP, it's not what it once was.

for a fee, it'll put certain 'ads' on their whitelist.

the original developer left and started uBlock Origin.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#6 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the advice/suggestions - I already have some of that. 

I really just wanted to find out how that ad glitch happened - it's not a serious glitch, as yet anyway.

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,900 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

Exactly what does....I already have some of that.....include? 

Have you scanned for adware and malware?

The router could be responsible if what I have suggested doesn't prevent ads from showing up. But you should scan

first before considering resetting and resecuring the router.

Ideally...you should be seeing zero ads.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 618 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:15 PM

I already block 3rd party cookies, have scanned for malware (mal.bytes).  I do have Adblock Plus in Chrome extensions but I now see it is not enabled! but the very few ads I get don't bother me, in fact I hardly notice them. I run CCleaner now and again.

Just ran JRT  - it deleted some rather innocuous looking stuff.

As far as I know the ad glitch has not repeated but will ask my friend tomorrow if anything comes up  - I've been trying to see ads on my open tabs now but there aren't any! They'll come up again sooner or later no doubt.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,900 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 05:28 PM

If the Adblock Plus is disabled and you haven't changed the setting for it per my first post, then you will be seeing ads from legit ad servers. Even ads

based on your searches and viewing products. Which was what you wanted to avoid as well as your friend.

The upstairs friend should run the scans, install an ad blocker and block third party cookies.

#10 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 774 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:42 PM

Another great ad blocker is uBlock Origin.

#11 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:35 PM

pssst... mentioned in post #5.  :wink:

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#12 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 774 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:59 PM

pssst... mentioned in post #5.  :wink:

Thank goodness I have an eye appointment next week. I was look for mention of it and missed it. I was wondering, are you guys connection by ethernet or wifi? If wifi you'd have the same password and he may have clicked to find other computers on the network. That may be why he's getting the same ads.

Edited by HyperHenry, 11 August 2017 - 07:59 PM.

#13 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

Hi group,

Here's thinking totally out of the box. zzzz by chance did you send an email to your friend with the website link for the thermometer you were interested in?

Why do I ask?  Help me out pals, could it be true that (only for an example) I receive an email with a link from zzzz for a thermometer that he/she is interested in. I open the website link in my browser to take a look. If my computer does not have any ad block or 3rd party cookies blocked, is there a chance that I'd begin to see adverts about the thermometer and other items from the same website as he/she has looked in?

The thought might be totally off base, I didn't think it would hurt to ask (smile.)

Self Edit: Format/spelling

Edited by softeyes, 12 August 2017 - 06:30 PM.

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,900 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:10 PM

softeyes.....Beacons are placed in email from spammers, advertisers and others who want to know you opened the mail. Clicking on an ad in the mail

would be noted by the ad servers, too. You can kill beacons using a script blocker such as NoScript that is a Firefox add-on.

#15 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

OP zzzz... If you ever see your post again, I'm curious to know if you sent an email to your mate with the link? No worries if it's a moot point now.

buddy215..."Beacons"...new language for me! Although I practice safe computing, block ads, etc. I have never known about beacons in an email? I'll need to do some research, or start a thread about those devils! I see that you had posted about beacons in your post #4, thank you, the description did not register.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users