Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server required for gaming Internet Cafe?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wpar7275

wpar7275

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:24 AM

Hi there,

My family owns a small internet cafe business in New Zealand, thanks to the surge in mass online competitive gaming we are expanding and creating new computers.

We have a mixture of 25 computers with the following specs:
(G3258/8GB/256GB SSD) (i7 2600/8GB/256 SSD) (i3 4150/8GB/256 SSD) with Fiber Internet (75+Mbps down), Windows 7 Professional.

The most popular games we have are: Dota 2, CSgo, League of Legends, Overwatch, World of Warcraft etc. 

We have a billing system but maintaining the computer seems to be a problem. Because the shop does not employ a centralized system coupled with simple guest access we are running into the following problems which I am looking to remedy.
1. Hard drives are being fulled with unnecessary downloads.
2. Updates have to be made manually to each computer.
3. Each computer has different games and applications installed.
4. Unlimited access.
5. Customers leave their email or gaming accounts logged in with several programs running in the background.

I have been building computers for the past several years but new when it comes to software.

That being said, I have always held an interest in software and hold a self starter mentality. I have thought about contacting a professional but before that I thought I might try to learn and to find out exactly what I need first.

What I am looking to achieve through the server is:
1. From the server computer being able to remotely reboot the client computer once the customer has finished. The reboot will serve to restore the computer back to it's original condition and remove anything that was downloaded/installed during the customer's session.
2. Manually update games from the server computer and roll it out to the client computers?
3. We have customers that play games that are quite old and not mainstream (Starcraft, Warcraft III, GTA). I am looking to put these games on a 2TB harddrive on the server computer. Will the client computers be able to access the harddrive on the server and play the games?

Will creating a server Windows or Linux be able to solve some of these problems?

Thanks for reading and of course your help!  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:18 AM

What I am looking to achieve through the server is:
1. From the server computer being able to remotely reboot the client computer once the customer has finished. The reboot will serve to restore the computer back to it's original condition and remove anything that was downloaded/installed during the customer's session.
2. Manually update games from the server computer and roll it out to the client computers?
3. We have customers that play games that are quite old and not mainstream (Starcraft, Warcraft III, GTA). I am looking to put these games on a 2TB harddrive on the server computer. Will the client computers be able to access the harddrive on the server and play the games?

#1 & 2 Can be accomplished with Teamviewer.

#3 Have you checked into a NAS? Network Attached Storage.

And...

https://www.howtogeek.com/201930/how-to-automatically-delete-files-in-your-download-folder-on-a-schedule/

I run a Windows Server at work for our Point of Sale system. Most applications cost more for the server environment. For instance, Teamviewer on Windows XP-10 =free / Teamviewer on Win Server for my setup =$1385.00 per year.

Edited by xrobwx, 14 August 2017 - 07:25 AM.

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

What you want is an asset management and inventory solution. There are a number of free Linux tools that will do this to varying degrees, including managing Windows systems. Anything Windows-based is going to cost you.

https://cloudsmallbusinessservice.com/small-business/best-it-asset-management-software-for-small-business.html

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:36 PM

Firstly what i would do is set up a ghost server (If thats what you want to do, re-image a PC) with a windows image with all the games but you might run into licensing issues after so many activations.

Secondly, you can use an app called manage Engine Desktop Central which allows 55 free computer installs.

This allows you to remotely restart, shutdown, create a start and shutdown schedule times so they are not running to save power. It also allows auditing of software installed and Microsoft and other software Licence's to be recorded for auditing. Along with a chat window that can be popped up for each user.

It also allows a lot more which i wont bother with here.

If you dont want to re-image a PC i would then create a task that uses something like ccleaner or a command like (cleanmgr /verylowdisk) to clean a preset of values to basically wipe the user profile every time they log off. Either that or a batch file.

I would also use a Windows server to create a domain so you can join the 25 off pc's to so you can do things like password resets etc etc.

Creating a DFS share on the server will also help with redundancy (Have 2 locations of the same data).

Also host your own firewall rules to block sites, DNS, etc etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users