Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound coming out from on-board sound card.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FascinatingPH

FascinatingPH

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:41 AM

Hi,

I've encountered a problem lately where I couldn't get any audio from my on-board sound card. It just suddenly stopped after I booted it up the other day. I haven't installed any software or drivers that could conflict with the system before that.

I have a Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2 (Rev 3.0) motherboard running Windows 7 (64Bit) with updated and proper drivers installed.

Solutions I've already tried:
*Reinstalling the drivers. (Uninstall -> Action -> Scan for hardware changes)
*Restarting Windows Audio from Services.
*Running the Windows built-in troubleshooter.
*Speakers set as default device and not muted.

However, I tried my external USB sound card which is a, Creative SB1140, plugged it to my PC and plugged my speakers to the USB sound card. The sound played perfectly fine. I really have no idea what caused this. I really need your help guys.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:52 AM

try a system restore to a point previous when it happened

#3 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:30 AM

your first bullet point attempt, although correct in theory, would have reloaded the current driver, so if it's a driver issue, you just reloaded the same, potentially faulty one.

try using the driver CD that came with the motherboard or go to the Gigabyte website and download the latest for your make/model/OS.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:41 PM

The built in so called troubleshooters in Windows are worthless. As mikey said, reinstalling drivers in device manager is also useless. I'd go to the manufacturer's website and download them there. It does sound like the onboard audio card has failed so you probable need a PCI card.

#5 FascinatingPH

FascinatingPH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

System restore didn't help at all. As of now, I can say that all the Windows "Repair" did not help me at all. Did a lot of research on how to execute them properly. Still, no luck. 

Re-installing the drivers also didn't help. So, I'm assuming that the on-board sound card is dead. But device manager shows that it's working just fine  :huh:

I'll be needing this desktop soon. Any suggestions on what I should get as an alternative? A PCI or external USB sound card? (I have one but I wouldn't use it on this one for some reasons.)

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

I've always had good luck with pci or pci express cards. (depends on what ports your mobo has) Not so good luck with usb cards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users