Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dban and parted magic... how to connect drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:52 PM

I'm looking into using dban on a HDD and parted magic on an SSD.
But I'm a little confused on how I hook connect these drives..

dban - HDD
*The HDD I want to wipe is not part of the computer build and does not run my OS.  It is simply an old HDD I have laying around that I want to wipe clean.
1.  Can I connect this HDD to the computer via some external source like a HDD enclosure and via USB?
2.  Or do I need to take out my primary drive and connect this HDD to the computer as the primary drive ( even though it has no O.S on it )

Parted magic - SSD
*The SSD I want to wipe is my primary drive and has my OS on it.
1.  Do I want to keep it connected as my primary drive ( basically leave it in and leave it alone as is ) and wipe from there?
2.  Or do I want to take it out of my computer and place into a drive enclosure and connect to a differant computer via drive enclosure and USB?

*The HDD is an 4 year old laptop HDD that has been formated.  But I want to wipe it clean with dban still.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:20 AM

If you do not plan on selling the drives, deleting the partitions and re-formatting the drives before OS install is sufficient.

You can install the drive in the computer and boot Parted Magic. It has a drive erase feature similar to DBAN. On modern drives one pass zero wipe is sufficient.

https://partedmagic.com/secure-erase/

Minitools Partition Wizard v9.1 bootable will also wipe the disk with up to 35 passes if you wish. V10 bootable is no longer available for free. The link I provided shows the method of wipe for v10 but is similar to V9

I would not recommend wiping a SSD more than one pass as this will decrease the live of the drive.

Using the bootable Parted Magic or Partition Wizard allows you to wipe the disks without the need for an enclosure. You can connect the drive(s) as a secondary and still wipe it but be careful you are selecting the correct disk. You do not want to wipe your primary drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users