Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible HDD Failure

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

I'm not one to ask for help but I'm kinda puzzled. I've been having issues with USB ports not working sometimes, script errors, and sluggish behavior. Last week I reinstalled Windows 8.1. The script errors, USB issues continued. I reinstalled all the drivers from the manufacturer website. Today I've gotten several "Windows has encountered a problem and must restart." I ran a speccy report and found a couple things that trouble me. It shows that Windows Defender is disabled. However I upgraded to Malwarebytes 3 so it may have disabled it. I've heard it can serve as an antivirus as well. The other is that the internal HDD that has my programs SMART status is unknown. I've heard that that could mean an impending HDD failure. Here is the Speccy Report. http://speccy.piriform.com/results/TxnJlZIDZW2d6kwYKeNMA1m

EDIT: It appears to be my SSD with my OS on it that's status is unknown. That could be worse.

Edited by HyperHenry, 07 August 2017 - 07:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

Using AMD Overdrive to monitor temps, any signs of throttling? (temps near max, processor downclocks itself to thermally protect itself...; if you run a Defender and/or MBAM scan, the CPU shouldrun near max; if you see task manager only running 800 MHz or so, that might indicate throttling/thermal issues. Fresh coat of thermal paste? Fan running ok?)

During the sluggishness, does task manager/performance reflect clocks at only .8-1 GHz?

As for SSD, perhaps Crucial has a (Samsung-Magician-like) tool for picking health/testing, etc...? (is the SSD presumably the boot drive??

Edit: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-storage-executive

USB: all devices disconnect? Perhaps one device draws too much power within your MB design spec? check each device individualy, then in twos possibly to isolate..

Edited by MDD1963, 07 August 2017 - 08:59 PM.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

oh, GSmartControl gives 'unknown" status on my Samsung NVME drive, so no certainty all programs can really pull a SMART status from assorted SSDs....

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:26 PM

Thanks MDD, I will check out AMD Overdrive. As an update, The crashes come when I unplug something from USB. What I'm unplugging is the wifi antenna because it quits working. The only things plugged in to the USB ports are 2 wireless antennas, my headphones, my external HDD and a wireless mouse dongle. I did have a few overheating events but I fix them cleaning the CPU and vents of cat hair. I have to do this every few days. I did run another hardware health scanner and it gave my SSD a clean bill of health.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:49 PM

There's no individual failing attributes highlighted in Speccy, but no doubt Crucial's specific drive software can give more information about the SSD health.

AFAIK only the paid for Malwarebytes Premium has real time anti virus protection. The free version is an on demand scanner only.  It offers a trial of the premium version on installation, but if you don't opt to take it up, it reverts to the free version after 14 days.  Speccy indicates Malwarebytes is running as the AV currently, so I'm presuming you took out the Premium version.

You don't generally plug wireless antenna's into a USB port, to my knowledge.  You would plug a USB WiFi Adaptor (listed as a generic 802.11n USB Wireless LAN Card in Speccy) in though which would contain an antenna.  Is that what you mean?  The wireless link speed shown in Speccy is very low, which would give bad performance all round.  What is the connection strength and link speed shown for the WiFi connection in Network & Sharing Center?

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:57 PM

It's showing at 72 Mbs but speed tests are showing 1 to 3 Mbs. I'm searching for updated drivers right now. BTW, had another crash while I was reading this post. Next time I'll remember to take a screenshot even though we all know what they say. It's a lot more frustrating fixing your own com puter than somebody else's. :smash: We've had the paid version of malwarebytes for years. What I am talking about is the equivelant to an lan card that is USB. I know from past experience getting the right drivers makes a huge difference on speed. That's where I'm at now.

Edited by HyperHenry, 07 August 2017 - 10:06 PM.

#7 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:14 PM

Just had another BSOD when I unplugged the wifi adapter. It was too fast to read other than Windows encountered an error and will restart or something to that nature.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:41 PM

It sounds like that WiFi adaptor might be at the root of at least some of the issues.

If you boot the system up with the WiFi adaptor unplugged, presumably you'll have no network connection but do any of the other symptoms improve?

One thing I'd maybe suggest trying is booting a live Linux distro (e.g. Mint) from USB, or maybe DVD seeing as your USB ports are playing up.  Common WiFi chipsets should just be recognised without further driver installation, and assuming that is the case, you'll be prompted to join a WiFi network. This may help to rule out Windows and it's drivers being the problem.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:57 PM

Excellent idea I should have thought of myself. But it'll have to wait until morning lol.

Edited by HyperHenry, 07 August 2017 - 11:57 PM.

#10 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:35 AM

Does the external hard drive in question have an external PSU, or does it pull power from the USB port?

YOu might be overloading USB power capacity with that combination of devices... (little wireless mouse/keyboard dongle can be discounted...!)

#11 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 08:21 AM

Does the external hard drive in question have an external PSU, or does it pull power from the USB port?

YOu might be overloading USB power capacity with that combination of devices... (little wireless mouse/keyboard dongle can be discounted...!)

It does have an external power supply.

#12 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:05 AM

I downloaded Crucial SSD program suggested above. It also showed the drive to be healthy. It also let me update the firmware on it. I uninstalled the usb drivers and reinstalled them. I'll let you know how that works.

#13 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:24 PM

I haven't had anymore BOSDs, one thing I still need is to find the correct Ralink drivers.

#14 HyperHenry

HyperHenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:03 PM

The problem has been solved. I had a signal booster cord attached to the adapter. That was the problem. I took it off and now all the USB ports recognize it and no more BSODs. Thanks a lot for all the help. :bananas:

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:25 PM

What is that? Something that's supposed to improve the WiFi signal? Congrats for finding the problem though!

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users