Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Name in Windows explorer are not the same as log on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BNDAZ

BNDAZ

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:49 PM

I have two users on my system

Admin:  Admin Prviledges
"User 1": Standard User

When i navigate to USERS with windows explorer i find Two User accounts:
 Admin

and

Dell Admin (which contains all the files i see under "User 1"

So i think what i did was this:

When i got this computer the first account was Dell Admin, i started using it, and repopulated the files i had backed up on old computer.

Then i realized it had admin level privileges.

So i created the Admin account and used IT to changed the original "Dell Admin" to "User 1" and change it to standard user privileges.

So my question is this, does this affect anything in the scheme of things?
Is there a way to change the User name i see in Windows explorer to reflect the correct name at log on?

Thanks !

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Olowiany

Olowiany

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

It's strange, I'm sure I've got one account

#3 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:55 PM

the first time you set up an account and log in, that name is used in C:\users\ as your folder name.

if you later change your account profile, it doesn't reflect that change in Windows Explorer, you'll always be the initial name.

so creating a login name of Bob will make C:\Users\Bob\ when you log in as Bob

changing your name later to Bill will still show C:\Users\Bob\ when you log in as Bill

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#4 BNDAZ

BNDAZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:17 PM

the first time you set up an account and log in, that name is used in C:\users\ as your folder name.

if you later change your account profile, it doesn't reflect that change in Windows Explorer, you'll always be the initial name.

so creating a login name of Bob will make C:\Users\Bob\ when you log in as Bob

changing your name later to Bill will still show C:\Users\Bob\ when you log in as Bill

Ok, Thank you !
so this is normal, any way to or reason to change it ?

Edited by BNDAZ, 08 August 2017 - 07:18 PM.

#5 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:33 AM

no way I know of to change it, but then I've never really cared that much to chase it up.

years ago, under XP, I tried a cheap and nasty method of manually renaming the old named folder to the new user name, and did the appropriate hacks in the Registry, and although it looked like it worked, certain things didn't so I gave up, put it into the too hard basket and reverted back.

can't think of any valid reason to want to change it other than purely cosmetic reasons or you you suffer slightly from OCD. :lol:

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users