Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection intermittent via different devices

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 shelle

shelle

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

Whenever I have IT issues I normally try to google and find out for myself the answer.  However on this occassion I am struggling as I am not sure where to start as I cannot work out where the issue lies.

The main issue is that whilst we have several devices that connect to the internet, recently some of those devices are hit and miss when connecting.

It started with a smart tv upstairs a few years ago which would not connect to the internet via wifi practically from the start.  I wasnt too bothered back then because subtitles at that time did not exist on internet content (I am deaf and rely entirely on subtitles).  A few years later as subtitles started to appear on internet platforms (Amazon, Netflix and so on) I resolved the issue by getting a fire stick.

We then purchased a new smart tv for the main living area - this connected ok to the likes of BBC Iplayer ok at first but then the internet wifi connection became horrendous. 

Recently, my mobile and android tablet also struggle to connect to the wifi connection.  And yet all the while, another smart tv, 2 laptops and a main desktop pc in the house connect without any issues at all. 

The router is in the same room as living room smart tv, one laptop and tablet.  And yet in that room only the laptop will connect to the wifi 100% of the time - the other devices are hit and miss sometimes connecting for a few minutes or hours at a time. 

Had it not been for some devices connecting without any issues I would have thought it was the router.  But because some work and some do not, I am not sure what the problem is and what direction to search for possible solutions.

Can anyone advise me what I should investigate please?  Router?  Settings on devices?  Internet broadband provider?

Sorry if I have not provided enough information - because I cannot work out where the issue lies I am not sure what details are required :/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

Hello

First question would be: do you live in a crowded area?
Eg: an apartment building or other places with many other people nearby

tfn

#3 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:21 PM

Good question toofarnorth, I was about to ask the same question. Sounds like it maybe Co Channel Interference or she has WPA2 Encryption enabled on the router. I'd start there with the troubleshooting.  

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#4 shelle

shelle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:30 AM

Sorry for late reply.  I hadnt realised anyone had responded as didnt get any notifications.

I live in a detached house in a cul de sac.  I had the same idea re channels and using an app I downloaded I checked and saw we overlapped with others quite a bit.  So I changed channels on the router to what appeared to be a better option but it actually made it worse.  Then it took me an hour to change it back as I could not get on the internet long enough!!

The issue is still happening, but I cannot work out what direction to investigate as I can still access with no issues via laptop (which is wifi) and desktop (which is wired).  Three phones connection is still hit and miss and the same with the two tvs (although a third tv has no problems despite being wifi too).  If all devices (excluding wired pc) could not connect then I can understand it is the router.  But when some devices connect and some dont, what does this mean?  Does the issue lie with our router, our internet provider (Talktalk in the UK) or something else?

#5 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 10 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

Ok? first things first what kind of router do you have and how old is it? When was the last time updated your router's firmware? Can I please have a snapshot of the Wifi Analyzer you used to conduct your Site Survey? Let's start narrowing the problem down.

Edited by arlattimor, 10 September 2017 - 11:46 AM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users