Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Incredibly Stupid Case of Colin Kaepernick

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:44 AM

So you ask...just who is Colin Kaepernick and why is a topic for idle thought?

Well, he used to be player in the National Football League...until his brain went dead on him and he turned himself into an ex-player.

Note that I said he was a player...someone who gets paid money by the NFL teams/owners...he was an employee, with all the responsibilities of an employee...to the entity which periodically gave him financial remuneration.

He was not a fan sitting in the stands...he worked for no other organization...he was a paid employee who was ascribed all the rights that his fellow employees in the NFL are due.

He decided to bring attention to himself...by refusing to stand for the national anthem as it is played before every NFL contest.  This action or non-action...if performed by a paid customer or other spectator...would hardly have merited any attention.  If he had been watching the game on TV...no one would have expected him to stand for the playing of the National Anthem.  Such has been done many time, for many reasons.  In most recent memory are the 60s and 70s where many veterans and others...chose to use this act/non-act...as a symbol. 

My reason for not standing, after my discharge from the US Army, was that I thought it inappropriate that the National Anthem should be so disrespected as to be played before a damn athletic endeavor...we know how trivial and plentiful these are in the U.S.  I could not draw the connection between the National Anthem...which I connected to military ceremonies, the Olympics, and certain U.S. Government activities...and a football game being held by unofficial organizations with the sole intent of profiting monetarily by staging this "contest."

If you are member of the U.S. Armed Forces...you become used to the concept that you stand/salute the end-of-day standard representing the host country.  You become used to the fact that, as a soldier in a foregn country, you are also a representative of that country and you need to act as such.

But...standing up for the National Anthem in the USA...for a contest with no implications whatever that have anything to do anything outside of entertainment and making money...no, I wasn't going to do that...and I did not ever do that upon my return to the U.S. and out of the U.S. Army.

What damns CK, IMO, is that he represents absolutely no one but himself...and his workstation is the playing fields of the NFL or whatever sports-related organization chooses to employ him.  He decide that his workplace...was the stage for showing the world what an idiot he is :).  No one in his right mind is ever going to believe that her/his workplace...exists for anything other than work.  It is not there for self-indulgence...self-expression...venting...or just plain stupid behavior.  It exists for the employed...to come in and do their jobs, no matter how varied they might be.  And the simple truth is...if you or I show up tomorrow at our respective workplaces...with anything in mind other than fulfilling our work-related roles...life will become very difficult for us.

Colin Kaepernick somehow...blotted this self-evident fact from his mind.  The workplace does not exist for egotistical diisplays of "it's all about me" or such ridiculous non-thought patterns.  Whatever the process...it's apparent that any real thinking was not taking place in his head.

The result today is that Colin Kaepernick, once thought to be a rising star in the NFL...can now pay to enter the stadium of any NFL contest as a fan/spectator...and sit through the playing of the National Anthem...and no one will think it unusual or worthy of comment.  The lesson that he carelessly ignored...that the workplace is for work, not symbolic gestures or planned egotism...and if you choose to ignore such a basic fact...chances are that you won't be at that workplace very much longer.

I would not ever consider employing such a muddle-headed person, in any capacity, because he has established the fact that he knows not what the workplace is for.  Who needs an employee...who cannot understand such a basic concept?

Louis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

Louis,

Star athletes, just like other "star" anything, are not dime-a-dozen and, as a result, are given some pretty wide latitude.

It is a false equivalence to compare being a player in any major league (not just sports) with being your average employee.  Examples abound of people with tremendous celebrity and influence using that to attempt to further causes they believe in or bring attention to causes/situations that society conveniently "sweeps under the rug."

Whether I agree with Colin Kaepernick or not, I understand both what he was trying to do and that he is anything but a "cog employee" that can be easily replaced.

"What damns CK, IMO, is that he represents absolutely no one but himself..."  This opinion is shown to be faulty based upon the raft of press regarding him, his actions, and the reasons behind them since all this began.  Whether you like it or not, from the beginning, this was never about just himself and there is abundant evidence that he represents the feelings of many, and that those feelings are controversial, which is what makes actions such as his all the more principled whether I happen to agree with the reasons for them or not.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

In this day of instant communications and the perception by people everywhere that the small snippets of video they see are chosen by the media to have the most impact.  Good or bad, is determined by the viewer and opinions are formed.  Refusing to do as your employer asks is grounds for termination.  Team owners and NFL commissioners don't want anything but GOOD news about them and their teams, so they all black balled him.  He wouldn't last 30 seconds under an organization like the Yankees, and the Giants come pretty close to that top tier teams.  Will he play again??  Maybe not if he continues down his current path, maybe the CFL will take him on, he'll have to learn O'Canada,  cause they'll make him sing.

Edited by mjd420nova, 07 August 2017 - 01:21 PM.

#4 DelPomerinke

DelPomerinke

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

I sorta like Canadian football,  don't ruin it and bring him up here.

#5 StrygwyrBS

StrygwyrBS

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:42 PM

My reason for not standing, after my discharge from the US Army, was that I thought it inappropriate that the National Anthem should be so disrespected as to be played before a damn athletic endeavor...we know how trivial and plentiful these are in the U.S.  I could not draw the connection between the National Anthem...which I connected to military ceremonies, the Olympics, and certain U.S. Government activities...and a football game being held by unofficial organizations with the sole intent of profiting monetarily by staging this "contest."

I have never considered this point of view before and I really like it. You could also say that removing the anthem for private sector endeavors like ball games would help revitalize the profound feeling of national pride one would experience while respectfully participating in the tradition. It wouldn't be "just another national anthem rendition" before the fun starts. Thank you for sharing.

Edited by StrygwyrBS, 10 December 2017 - 06:44 PM.

#6 coolboy4972

coolboy4972

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 25 December 2017 - 04:02 AM

fooolllowww the ruuuulesssss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users