Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Communications Port (com1)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rayandmaura

rayandmaura

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:49 PM

communications port (com1 ) isnt working . THE device manager reports "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

I had to do a repair install because i messed up my registry trying to perform a tweak to change the text in the start button " please dont ask " and have had problems ever since .For one i cant get through safe mode properly also everytime i try to open a program " even nortons " the windows installer starts. Anyways, I dont know much about computers and to be honest im not sure i ever used it before or evan if it was screwed up before I did the repair installation. Im just wondering if it is normal for the device manager to report this problem with the communications port or if it could possibly have anything to do with some of the problems im having ..

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanx
- RAY -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:59 PM

Hi Ray,

Im just wondering if it is normal for the device manager to report this problem with the communications port or if it could possibly have anything to do with some of the problems im having ..

No. The device manager would not normally report com1 as down.

Can you go back to a restore point prior to the tweak?

You can try to remove all the com ports and let the computer rediscover them. Hopefully it will reassign resources to the needed areas.

I feel you have cause and effect here. I am not sure what parts of the registry you tweaked, but the registry handles the operations of XP - so yes, if it started happening after your tweak, it was a possible cause.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:55 PM

Thanx for your reply !! No i cant do a restore point to before I started having problems as the repair install deleted all previous restore points. And im kinda scared to do anything to the " good " port. The whole cause and effect thing might make things worse if i try that . I guess ill just back up all important stuff and reinstall. Everything seems to be running ass backwards but for now I can navigate through it and get what i need to do done. Trust and beleive ill never try anymore "Tweaks" no matter how cool they sound

Thank You so much for your reply!

- RAY -

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:49 PM

I believe com1 is located on irq port 4, it sounds like you might be having a device conflict, hope you didn't do anything to kernel in your registry... Anyhow, check your devices and go to resources (usually com1 is associated with mouse or a network card) and see if there are any two devices trying to use the same irq.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 03:09 PM

See if the following applies to your computer:

"This Device Cannot Find Enough Free Resources" Error Message After You Install Gemplus PCMCIA 400 Smart Card Reader
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810186

Computer Hangs During Shutdown or Displays a "Cannot Find Enough Free Resources" Error Message
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q314101

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users