Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop: swapping SSD's w/ dif O.S ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:25 PM

I have a 4 year old Toshiba laptop ( $250 christmas special. Just used for browsing ).

It had Win 8.1 but I got Win 10 when it was offered.

I have Linux mint on a bootable USB.

If I get a 2nd SSD can I take out the SSD with Win 10.  Place the new ( blank ) SSD in and load Linux mint into it?

Then can I swap SSD back and forth between SSD #1 ( Win 10 ) and SSD#2 ( Linux mint ) if I wanted to?

I'm aware of the dual boot and V.M.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:30 PM

Then can I swap SSD back and forth between SSD #1 ( Win 10 ) and SSD#2 ( Linux mint ) if I wanted to?

Yes, I do the same thing every 3 months to update my Win 10

Edited by NickAu, 06 August 2017 - 10:44 PM.

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 10:35 PM

Do keep in mind that the SATA drive connectors aren't specified for a very high number of insertion/removals, and if the swaps were going to be frequent (e.g. daily) the contacts could become unreliable, which is disastrous for your data. IIRC, the spec for internal sata connections is 50 insertion/removals, compared with thousands for the external eSATA used on drive enclosures. That doesn't mean it will fail after 50 uses of course, but it does indicate that it isn't designed to be robust for continuous plugging and unplugging.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:21 AM

Most Linux distros allow pretty easy resizing of partitions to accommodate dual boot w/Windows scenarios...

Back up your data first, in case of a mistake or something going wrong, but, dual booting with Mint, Ubuntu, CentOS, Debian, Zorin, etc., are super-easy, never had it bite me yet (I had full image backup in case it went south!)

(Were it not for tinkering with malware removal tools in Windows for a hooby, and gaming on Windows desktops, I'd could have skipped Windows permanently years ago..)

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users