Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have done everything.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 The-Windows-Guy

The-Windows-Guy

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

It all happened when I removed my Linux and Windows 7 from my Windows Vista dual boot.  Windows Vista boots just fine but the recovery partition when hitting F11 doesn't work it usually works when hitting F11 but now it doesn't from setting the recovery partition to active, to making disks (which does nothing), to even changing settings in EasyBCD nothing works.  I have tried and tried to go to every forum page to see if this problem has been addressed but nothing so similar happened before so I am stuck with the installation and not able to use the recovery partition what so ever.  Just recently HP's website put my Compaq Presario F500 series laptop under the retired page!  I really don't want to buy a copy of Windows for it since it already came with it on it.  Does anyone have suggestions on how to fix this?  I would greatly appreciate the help since trying to get it booting to the recovery partition now has been a frustration!  :unsure:

Edited by The-Windows-Guy, 06 August 2017 - 07:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

You have tried pretty much everything possible including marking the recovery partition active. Is there some reason you wish to do a factory reset if Vista boots fine? 

If you are worried about losing the ability to boot Vista consider creating a complete disk image to a USB external drive using imaging software such as 

Macrium Reflect Free

Aomei Backupper Standard Free

Easeus Todo Backup Free

All allow you to create bootable media to restore the disk image from the USB external should the computer no longer boot because of file system corruption, malware infection, or a failed hard drive. This has an advantage over your recovery partition on the hard drive as this would be useless should the hard drive fail while having an image on a USB external would allow you to boot the recovery media and restore your image to a new hard drive.

Edit: Did the computer come installed with Windows 7 or Vista?

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 August 2017 - 07:58 PM.

#3 The-Windows-Guy

The-Windows-Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:57 PM

The reason why I would like to factory reset it is because it has a lot of junk that I don't need and with a factory reset it will have a better fresh start.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:01 PM

The only thing I can think of is installing the HP Recovery Manager and hope it picks up your recovery partition when you run it.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/HP/HP-Recovery-Manager-Installer-Utility-801-for-Vista.shtml

The computer came pre-installed with Vista, correct?

#5 The-Windows-Guy

The-Windows-Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

Yes

Wait it says for 64bit my Windows version is 32bit on a 64bit CPU

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:15 PM

No you need the 32bit version. I will try to find it.

This version is supposed to work on 32bit

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/HP-Recovery-Manager.shtml

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 August 2017 - 08:19 PM.

#7 The-Windows-Guy

The-Windows-Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:18 PM

Either way it worked kind of but after installing it wanted to me to navigate to the folder and double click on a like Web Installer but trying to install it failed because it couldn't find a previous version.  Is it also possible to take another Windows Vista disk and use it with the product key I have on it so I can activate it?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:21 PM

If the key was used on another computer and the disk is OEM it may not activate. You could call Microsoft and have them transfer the license but being Vista, they may not want to bother as it has reached it's end of life.

#9 The-Windows-Guy

The-Windows-Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

I mean like if I tried to use the product key under the laptop using an OEM license on the same laptop would it probably activate?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:59 PM

Yes, if you have the key under the laptop it will activate but you will need to do a phone activation.

Edit: I would still do a complete disk image in case the install went south or there were problems with activation.

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 August 2017 - 09:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users