Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New CAT6 ethernet cable works on one computer, not the other.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WyattBrown

WyattBrown

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:00 PM

Pretty straightforward:

A new 150ft ethernet cable works on my old Thinkpad (Win7). It does not work on my built PC (Win7) [or even my newer Thinkpad (Win10) ]

This is with a NEW internet source, I just moved, the WiFi works but can't get ethernet on my main PC, but can on the old laptop.

*I have tried changing duplex settings - 10Mbps/FULL got the orange light on the port to blink on my PC, but could not get passed "identifying network" this is as far / close I've gotten to it working

*I have tried safemode w/ networking

*I have tried updating drivers for my Realtek LAN controller - it is a Gigabyte

The problem is not the cable, as far as I can see, as it works dandy on another computer. I am at a loss. The ethernet worked on my built PC before I moved - and I was using it. Now I'm in a new place with new internet - does not work.

I appreciate the help and will provide any info needed for diagnostics. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:30 PM

This may sound strange but worked for a couple of people on BC. If everything looks normal and you cannot connect via Ethernet try a powercycle. Remove the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach your power and boot. For some reason this sometimes brings back Ethernet where it did not connect before. 

#3 WyattBrown

WyattBrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:40 PM

This may sound strange but worked for a couple of people on BC. If everything looks normal and you cannot connect via Ethernet try a powercycle. Remove the power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach your power and boot. For some reason this sometimes brings back Ethernet where it did not connect before. 

Thank you for the suggestion. i'll try it now

#4 Lamboom

Lamboom

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:13 PM

GADZOOKS!  So what happened....?????

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,145 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

What are you connecting the cable to?  If you're connecting to a cable modem you may need to power cycle the cable modem in order for it to recognize a new device.  This is a common issue for ISPs that only give you one IP address.

#6 Lamboom

Lamboom

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:02 AM

What are you connecting the cable to?  If you're connecting to a cable modem you may need to power cycle the cable modem in order for it to recognize a new device.  This is a common issue for ISPs that only give you one IP address.

Understood... Thanks... :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users