Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multi-Booting

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 chienetfou

chienetfou

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:02 AM

Mod Edit:  Split from https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/500956/dual-boot-from-2-separate-hdds/#entry4301879 - Hamluis.

Dave Clark:

I have a similar issue. And I am looking for the machine to give, at boot, the option to choose which disk to boot from.

Have you resolved your question or are you still looking?

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2017 - 05:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

I believe that some of notions expressed in prior years...are somewhat inaccurate.  Four years is a very long time not to have figured out the various ways of doing what was desired.

If you tell us what O/Ses are installed on these two drives...we should be able to provide useful information.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2017 - 05:15 PM.

#3 chienetfou

chienetfou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:19 PM

hamluis:

the original disk is XP and the new disk is 7. I can't remember if the XP disk was in when I installed the new disk and installed 7. I'm going to try EasyBCD tomorrow and see if that corrects the issue.

#4 chienetfou

chienetfou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

hamluis:

Before trying EasyBCD I tried unplugging the drives and plugging them back in one at time.Lo and Behold! I have the DOS type screen that asks which OS do I want to boot. Both disks boot just dandy. Still scratching my head over this one. :}

#5 chienetfou

chienetfou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

hamluis:

Any thoughts as why that worked?

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:28 AM

My guess is that you "re-educated/retrained" BIOS or UEFI to "tell" the computer to do what you wanted the computer to do.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 chienetfou

chienetfou
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

RolandJS:

I have had strange things like this happen before. Another IT had a machine that he set up a virtual system w/ VMWare. Everything was fine until he turned off the virtual, locked his machine and went to chow. He came back and couldn't for the life of him get the virtual to reconnect. He tried everything and double checked everything. I did the same when he asked for a second set of eyes. I asked "Did you flush the DNS?" He said that has no bearing. I said you've tried everything else. He did and guess what?, the virtual reconnected. Still haven't figured why that worked. Oh well :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users