Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hl-dt-st Dvdram Gsa-4167b

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ryonrex

ryonrex

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:38 PM

Hello,

I'm in need of some help if anyone can lend it to me.
My CD driver has inexplicably stopped working; it's been going on for about two weeks now but until recently I thought it was just my CD burner. Turns out that when I click My Computer, it doesn't even display the D Drive anymore! I did some clicking around and got the warning message that the driver is missing or corrupt (Error 39) or something like that.

Here is what I've tried so far to fix the problem:

First, my friend came over and opened my tower for me. He disconnected the drive and reconnected it, thinking that maybe it might have come loose if I had bumped it or something. That didn't work.

Next, I uninstalled it through the device manager and then rebooted, and reinstalled it when it was detected as new hardware. This didn't fix the problem either.

The last thing I tried was a system restore to roughly a month ago; the only thing this accomplished was to inadvertantly rid me of the Virusburst trojan. Hahahaha...

So seeing as I'm about to be releasing an album (self-produced, therefore self-burned...) this is a pretty frustrating problem. I was wondering if there's anywhere I can get the driver from? I don't have the discs, they didn't come with the computer. If need be I guess I could pay to get it fixed; I really want to avoid that though because, pre-release, I don't have a lot of money. Hahaha.

Thanks,

Ryan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:02 AM

The driver for these drives is built into Windows and it's the same driver that runs your hard drive (generally speaking).

I suspect that your problem is related to the virus - so I'd recommend that you perform a free, online scan (using Internet Explorer) at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If that says that your system is virus and spyware free - then I'd suspect that the CD drive has died on you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 tunesmith5150

tunesmith5150

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:39 AM

Hi,
I hope you haven't done anything extreme to your system yet or downloaded any "tools"
The Article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base article KB 314060 will solve your problem. The guided help program will not work in Vista but if you print the step by step and just be careful you can do it manually. It's very easy. For the "RUN" step look for the application under accessories in your programs listing. Your looking for "RUN"
Hope this works for you.
Tim

#4 tunesmith5150

tunesmith5150

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:46 AM

PS
These dippy download jukeboxes are I believe causing the problem. Itunes, Musicmatch, etc.
For what it's worth.
Tim

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 15 July 2007 - 01:29 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

this is the web page and it really works wonders, people still try to load aspi drivers with xp and then you get all kinds of roxio
filter drivers which corrupt easily

nero, imgburn and a few other burning applications don't load any filter drivers and they work fine(nero gets corrupt easily)
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users