Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 service does not exist

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt

mrmatt

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

Whilst using Wise Care 365, it pointed out to me that there is a 'Service program specified does not exist'.  It is as follows:

\??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers/efavdrv.sys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\efavdrv\ImagePath

I have no idea what it relates to, whether it was a Windows file originally, or another program.

Is anyone able to help with this please?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:17 PM

Firstly, BC does not recommend any optimization programs that supposedly will speed up your computer.

That sys file is part of ESet Smart Security. Did you have it installed at one time?

You may be interested in reading this BC post by member quietman7 regarding optimization programs.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/600339/best-softwares-for-optimizing-my-windows-10-pro/?p=3893372

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 August 2017 - 03:18 PM.

#3 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

I have run standalone scanners in the past by ESET.

After having a search, it does indeed appear to relate to ESET, but I wanted to be sure.

I know what you are saying about those sorts of programs, but if it's a service that doesn't exist though (and a registry error) fixing it may well stop my PC from hanging from time to time, trying to start services it can't.

Besides which, it's not so much a case of speeding up the PC, just getting it working correctly.

Edited by mrmatt, 06 August 2017 - 03:36 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

Download AutoRuns and do a search for efavdrv.sys. You can uncheck the box next to the file. Reboot and if you notice no issues run Autoruns again. Click on the listing and the Red X to delete it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns

#5 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 01:20 AM

Thanks for that, I'd never thought of that.

To be honest, I wasn't really aware of that particular thing causing problems, but noticing that it was wrong I wanted to do something.  This PC can be slow at times, for all sorts of reasons, and probably a number of things like that.  I deleted it though as you said.

Cheers once again John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users