Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Edge Pop-Ups

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bobspicks

bobspicks

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

I recently purchased a PC with Windows 10 installed.  This wasn't my favourite option because I had previously updated another PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10, but reverted back to Windows 10.  I didn't like what I was seeing in Edge, specifically because of the pop-ups that frequently occur.  The pop-ups causing the most headaches were those where I was told I had a virus and to call a phone number to have it fixed (I immediately killed the task to get around these events).  Since at least 1993 I was able to prevent these in Internet Explorer (IE) by disabling Active scripting.  However, Edge doesn't appear to have this setting.  Thankfully, I noticed I can still disable Active scripting in IE11.  Is there a way to disable Active scripting in Edge?  How about Chrome, where I also notice these pop-ups occur.

Bob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,414 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

Install an ad blocker in your browsers. Use Firefox and NoScript to control scripts. Block Third Party cookies from installing. Run scans

to find and remove malware and adware.

You can block third party cookies from installing. Those are the ad/ tracking cookies. Once you have blocked them from

installing, use CCleaner to remove the existing ones.

How to disable third-party cookies in all major web browsers

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

If you don't have an ad blocker installed I suggest using Adblock Plus. Once installed click on the ABP icon at the top of your

browsers and choose Filter Preferences. Then UNcheck the box next to Allow some non-intrusive advertisements.

Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store   Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox   Adblock Plus for Edge browser   Adblock Plus for IE

For Firefox users I also recommend learning to use NoScript which is an excellent ad blocker and excellent security.

It will block web beacons and all of those malware scripts that attempt to install adware and malware on your computer by just visiting a compromised or

a criminal's website. NoScript Security Suite :: Add-ons for Firefox

From the Web:

A Web beacon is an often-transparent graphic image, usually no larger than 1 pixel x 1 pixel, that is placed on a Web site or in an email that is used to monitor the behavior of the user visiting the Web site or sending the email. It is often used in combination with cookies.

Scan for adware and malware using these programs:

Malwarebytes   AdwCleaner   Junkware Removal Tool

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:52 PM

The pop-ups causing the most headaches were those where I was told I had a virus and to call a phone number to have it fixed

This sort of pop-up is usually caused by malware, even if relatively benign malware. Run a scan with Malwarebytes and if it comes up with anything it cannot fix itself start a topic iin the 'Am I infected?' section of BC.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 06:20 PM

The pop-ups causing the most headaches were those where I was told I had a virus and to call a phone number to have it fixed

This sort of pop-up is usually caused by malware, even if relatively benign malware. Run a scan with Malwarebytes and if it comes up with anything it cannot fix itself start a topic iin the 'Am I infected?' section of BC.

Chris Cosgrove

Seconded.  I have never seen pop-up messages of that nature that did not have a malware/virus infection as their root cause.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 bobspicks

bobspicks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

Malwarebytes 3.1.2 found one threat (PUP.Optional/MediaGet) that it quarantined.

I'll advise if I see the pop-ups again.

Thanks.

Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users