Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

random freezes while playing games on windows 10

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 FineyMcFine

FineyMcFine

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

Hi guys,

I recently switched to win 10 x64 and now my games are randomly locking up on me. The game freezes, with the sound looped (very short sample, so it just sounds like buzzing), and sometimes resumes after a second or two, other times stays locked up with nothing but a hard reset working - no alt+tab, no ctrl+alt+del, nothing. The same happens with several different games, and not in particularly performance-heavy spots.

All hardware is the same as before, only change is from win 7 x64 to win10 x64. I had all the latest drivers installed after switching OS.

I really hope someone here can help me with some ideas. Thank you very much in advance!!

My specs:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-6300 22 °C
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 803MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. 970A-UD3P (CPU 1) 35 °C
Graphics
2343 (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (Gigabyte) 34 °C
Storage
223GB KINGSTON SV300S37A240G (SSD) 34 °C

Edited by hamluis, 23 August 2017 - 07:59 AM.
Moved from Crashes/BSODs to W10 Spt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:23 AM

Update video drivers and chipset drivers.

Beyond that, Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 FineyMcFine

FineyMcFine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 04:46 AM

Hi,

here's the zip file. Thank you for helping!

Sorry, here it is

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:09 AM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F1) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

You have 4 hard drives.  What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?
The purpose of this question is to get you to evaluate your PSU.
- PSU's tend to get less efficient with age
- adding components over time may decrease the ability of the PSU to support the entire system (Maybe remove some stuff to see if that helps?)
- while you can measure the output of a PSU with a multimeter, the readings may change dramatically when the PSU is put under load.
- there's a free PSU test in the OCCT program at http://www.ocbase.com/

Have you updated the chipset and video drivers?
If so, has it improved things?

If it does not help, then please do the following the next time it freezes (immediately after you recover from the freeze):
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps.  If uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 FineyMcFine

FineyMcFine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

Thank you very much for the exhaustive answer!

It took me some time to do some testing but I'm embarrassed to say that I think it really was just an issue with the chipset driver. It was a bit strange to me that there are no CPU-specific or at least CPU-type specific drivers, there's only one chipset driver for all AMD CPUs (http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows+10+-+64). After installing this, the problem seems to have gone away. Knock on wood.

Thanks again!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:13 PM

I'm glad that you were able to get it fixed.

Drivers are a complicated subject.  I've spent many years working in the BSOD forums and still have only scratched the surface of investigating drivers.

First, there are specific CPU drivers for both Intel and AMD CPU's.  A while back one of the most popular system OEM's put drivers for Intel and AMD (and had them loading into memory) in their imaged systems - and a Windows Update caused all of them to start BSODing at an alarming rate until they issued a fix.

Most CPU manufacturer's supply their processor drivers to Microsoft and they're included in Windows Update.

Secondly, a chipset driver is included in the package that you pointed to (with the link you provided) - BUT there are numerous drivers included in the downloaded package.  A look for AMD stuff in Device Manager will show you that there's a lot going on behind the scenes that isn't evident to the user.

Next, my approach to troubleshooting involves asking you to fix a number of possible problems.  If we went at this one-by-one, it would take months just to figure out what we were looking at, with it taking even longer to test different scenarios to make the system run optimally and without obvious errors.  Not all the things that I mention are to blame for your problems - but the hope is that by naming all that I can see, you'll be able to fix the problem rapidly and get back to an enjoyable computing experience much more quickly.

Next, there's many different reasons for these problems, but we can break them down to either hardware or software.

We further break down the software into Windows drivers and 3rd party drivers - as 3rd party drivers are the most likely cause of most problems that we see here (assuming that the system is fully up to date with Windows Updates). 

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:15 PM

Hi John, been awhile since we crossed paths. JC wants me to pass on all the tips and tricks of the past 50 years, I will get around to it some day, presently I have a Titanium device that keeps my heart pumping at the right rhythm. I have a secretary to assist me and she does most of my correspondence.

I agree with win10 and drivers, it creates a huge problem for us as I now do NGO work in Asian countries (I have retired from business, although I still consult to a Chinese computer manufacturer)

Most of our work requires getting information from users often in remote and unstable regions (both politically and infrastructure wise), the only way is to have them copy paste cmds either into Powershell OR CMD prompt. To this end I have developed cmds to achieve this. Here are some, for drivers we need the Ven & Dev data to correctly identify the device driver, the beauty here is all they need to do is copy paste. These cmds are also suitable for forums, I have included some for you:-

wmic sounddev get Caption, DeviceID, PNPDeviceID, Manufacturer, status /Format:List > 0 & notepad 0

This gives us sound card and can be run from powershell or cmd prompt (both elevated), although Powershell does not recognize the 0 & notepad 0 cmd, you can change to an out-file OR easier to have them type cmd first into powershell and invoke a cmd prompt session.

Video Card

wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /Format:List > 0 & notepad 0

Nic

wmic nic get AdapterType, AutoSense, Name, Installed, MACAddress, PNPDeviceID,PowerManagementSupported, Speed, StatusInfo /format:list > 0 & notepad 0

Computer specs

This avoids the .exe used by many and requires only copy paste (gives more detail then others, first one removes hotfix's from systeminfo, second one includes Hotfix's.

echo > 0 & systeminfo | find /V /I "hotfix" | find /V "KB" >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

echo > 0 & systeminfo >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

There are of course many more related to registry and services mostly, as these are the major areas of concern. I hope you are well, it is good to see you still helping after all these years, well done.

Paul (AKA Jenae)

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:17 AM

Great to hear from you Jenae!

Thanks for the commands!  I've bookmarked the page so I can call it up when I need it.

I hope that this finds you doing well.  I had a heart attack back in 2009 and haven't had any problems since (knock on wood).

Went blind in my left eye from an infection in 2011 - but Connecticut lets you drive with only one eye.  Watch out if you're on the roads here!

#9 FineyMcFine

FineyMcFine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

Hi everyone,

It's me again. Unfortunately, the same problem came back again. It went away after I installed the chipset driver linked above, but now, since a couple of days, it's the same story again.

I started by checking that there's no newer version of the chipset driver, so there's nothing to update there. I checked windows updates (and consequently had to wait around until the huge Fall Creators Update finished), and also installed the latest NVIDIA driver. None of this helped.

So, after the latest freeze and manually switching the computer off and on again, I did what you recommended above and created the Admin.evtx file (Attached File  Events.zip   55.51KB   1 downloads). I would like to ask you to please have a look and see if you can draw any conclusions. It's really annoying, and I'm worried that the hard resets will eventually damage my system.

Once again, many thanks in advance for your kind help!

Edited by FineyMcFine, 21 November 2017 - 02:55 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:48 PM

One issue in the Admin logfile that I noted - a BIOS problem.  Have you updated your BIOS to the latest version?

Let's have a look at these reports also:  Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

#11 FineyMcFine

FineyMcFine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

Regarding BIOS: the latest stable version is from 2013. There's a 2014 update, but it's a beta release (link: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-970A-UD3P-rev-10#support-dl). Should I still install it?

As for the report, it's here: Attached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   276.43KB   2 downloads

Thank you for looking into it!

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2017 - 08:28 AM

I'd do the BIOS as the last resort.  Generally the manufacturer's don't release a beta to the public unless there's something serious that needs fixing.

From what little I was able to find on the AMD AGESA code, it seems to be low-level hardware optimization stuff.  As such, it might be worth a shot - but there's really no telling unless you try it.

In general, I tend to see incompatibilities with older BIOS's - not with later UEFI's.  BUT, there's very little chance for me to see BIOS's that were released after W10 (or even W8) was released - so I'm uncertain about the "incompatibility landscape" (just made that up myself! :0) with newer versions of older BIOS's on later (W10/8) systems.  My thoughts center around wondering if there will come a time when the Windows OS's reach a point where they will no longer support the old-style BIOS in any way - and if that's the case, will it be an abrupt change, or will it begin with gradually increasing signs of incompatibility.

Only 2 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  Most build 16299 (1709/Fall Creators Update) systems have more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.
The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

C: drive only has about 7% free space (E: is around 9%).  Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty).  Low free space can cause BSOD's - but the actual amount depends on the files being used by the system.

As the motherboard manufacturer is still releasing updates for W10, I tend to think that the board is W10 compatible.
As such, I don't believe reverting to a previous OS would be likely to fix things.

So, if the clean install with updated drivers doesn't fix it - then the next step is the BIOS update.
And, if that doesn't fix it, then it's time to look for hardware problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users