Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating system not found - SSD related.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tj111

Tj111

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:53 PM

I recently bought a pre owned Sony Vaio laptop that came with Windows 10 (non activated), and 2 x 256GB SSD raid. All seemed well, but I couldn't detect the SSD in Device Manager or Disk Management, only in BIOS. The sellers advice was then to delete and recreate the raid in bios, which I did. Now when I turn on the laptop, I'm greeted with "Operating system not found".

Luckily I don't need to recover any important files, except to get Windows restored.

I don't have an original restore/boot disk. What are my options?

Thanks guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

Download Windows 10 using the Media Creation Tool and hope Microsoft will Activate it. You can give them a call if it does not. They are pretty good at activating Windows 10 on OEM machines. Do you know what OS was on previously? If Windows 8 or 8.1 the key is embedded in firmware. Download the Windows 8.1 iso here.

After booting to 8.1 it will self activate. After activation run the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and select Upgrade this PC. Windows 10 will then activate.

If you cannot be sure what OS was previously installed you can boot a live linux Puppy disk based on Slacko.

Is there a COA sticker on the bottom of the computer. That would indicate a Windows 7 or earlier OS.

Edit: Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 August 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#3 Tj111

Tj111
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:49 AM

It worked! Thanks.

The laptop seems slightly slower though. It's definitely making more noise.

Could it be a driver issue?

Thanks again.

#4 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:12 AM

It worked! Thanks.

1. The laptop seems slightly slower though.
  2. It's definitely making more noise.
  3. Could it be a driver issue?

Thanks again.

1. Seems or is slow, how did You measured it?
  2. hardly believable
  3. an SSD is electronic and does not contain mechanical parts that could cause audible noise

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,618 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:04 AM

Could be your fan. Check the temps in BIOS if they are given. You can also use  HWmonitor.

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users