Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Sign Onto Laptop

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

I have had my laptop set up to auto signon since I had it and now it wants a password. I don't know what could have caused it to want a password all of a sudden and would love to know if anyone has an answer to this. Anyway, I of course don't recall my password and my password memory program does, but it is telling me that it is not the right password. So,  I have reset my password in Microsoft but it won't accept the new password that I reset it to. It gives me the option to sign in with the original log on or the Microsoft log on, but won't accept either one, even though I reset them to a new password. How am I supposed to get into my computer if I can't log onto it? Is there a way that I can bypass the logon screen to get to the settings to reset it to no password log on again? It is a Samsung laptop, windows 10

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:33 PM

Maybe this tutorial helps

https://www.howtogeek.com/222262/how-to-reset-your-forgotten-password-in-windows-10/

or this

https://www.reneelab.com/reset-windows-10-password-without-reset-disk.html

To avoid such problems in the future, make a password reset USB/disk

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Write in search (right top) Create a password reset disk
  3. Insert USB Flash Drive
  4. Click on link (left) Create a password reset disk
  5. If Wizard opened, follow the instructions 

A lot of success for You and everyone who thinks it was helpful.

Edited by zainmax, 06 August 2017 - 02:20 PM.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:34 PM

On another computer download and install Lazesoft Recover My Password Home which is free. Create a bootable DVD or USB flash drive. You may need to disable SecureBoot in your UEFI/BIOS settings. I am not sure of the key to tap but it may be F2. This will only reset your original local password, not the Windows Account Password.

http://www.lazesoft.com/forgot-windows-admin-password-recovery-freeware.html

It may be safer to enable the Hidden Administrator Account and login to it to reset your local password

http://www.lazesoft.com/how-to-recover-administrator-password.html

#4 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 08:00 PM

ok I downloaded both Lazesoft and Renee and I can't get either of them to boot on my computer. I found out the I hit F10 to get to the BIOS and the it asks me to load from either the USB or CD and I have tried both. When I try to load from the USB or CD, it doesn't seem to boot from either one, but loads from the computer and goes right back to the same screen to where I can't sign in. I never get to the BIOS in my computer even though I tell it to boot from the USB or CD.

Now one thing I'm not clear on...do I need to keep hitting the F10 key after I tell it to boot from the USB or CD? or was the F10 key just to tell it to boot from another drive and now I need to hit the F2 to get to the BIOS? According to what I read on line it should be booting to the BIOS from the F10 key, but that isn't happening, so I'm not sure what to do.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:50 AM

You do not need to keep hitting the F10 key. It should have booted to the USB or CD. F10 is the boot menu key and F2 lets you enter BIOS. What is the model number of the Samsung?

What OS was originally on the computer?

See this video. Create an iso image instead of directly creating a USB or CD. After creating the iso image then use the iso image to burn a CD by right clicking on any computer with Windows 7 or later and selecting Burn Disk Image. If you do not have an available Windows 7 or later computer then use isoburner.

If the computer was upgraded from Windows 8 then you will need to access the BIOS to disable SecureBoot. If there is a QuickBoot/Fastboot setting that should also be disabled.

#6 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:11 PM

Attached File  IMG_20170808_202913.jpg   128.18KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20170808_202845.jpg   111.03KB   0 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20170808_202749.jpg   107.42KB   0 downloads

You do not need to keep hitting the F10 key. It should have booted to the USB or CD. F10 is the boot menu key and F2 lets you enter BIOS. What is the model number of the Samsung?

What OS was originally on the computer?

The computer originally had windows8 then I upgraded to Windows 10 when it came out. 

See this video. Create an iso image instead of directly creating a USB or CD. After creating the iso image then use the iso image to burn a CD by right clicking on any computer with Windows 7 or later and selecting Burn Disk Image. If you do not have an available Windows 7 or later computer then use isoburner.

The computer I used to download the file is Windows 7 Home Premium. I did the ISO copy but I can't get the laptop to go into the Bios. I took pictures of the screens on the laptop to show you what I get when I hit F10 and what comes up after I stop hitting F10. All I get is the regular sign in screen. I have the ISO CD in the CD drive, but when I tell it to read it from the F10 menu it doesn't read it and never goes to the BIos where I can disable the SecureBoot.

If the computer was upgraded from Windows 8 then you will need to access the BIOS to disable SecureBoot. If there is a QuickBoot/Fastboot setting that should also be disabled.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

If you tap F2 at boot can you access BIOS?

Edit: It could also be the Esc key.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 August 2017 - 07:44 PM.

#8 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

I got in!!  I remember someone told me to take away all the electric, so I unplugged it and took the battery out for about a half hour to drain all the energy. Then I put the battery back in and rebooted the computer normally, but it still wanted a password. and the password that I had reset it with still didn't work. I went to my desktop and did another reset, but this time for some reason it accepted the original email address that it wouldn't accept before. I know this had nothing to do with pulling the battery, but just a computer niche that happens. Anyway, once I got the original email address in there and was able to reset the password, I went to the laptop and tried on the main screen but still no luck. So I went to the Microsoft log in and I got in. Thanks for all the brainstorming with me and the suggestions. I'm sure they will come in handy for some others that run into this problem.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:43 PM

Nice. Thanks for the update. One thing you should do is disable Fast Startup. 

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

#10 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:18 PM

so I should use the password to sign in everytime even though I am the only one using the computer???

#11 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

article explains it all......Thanks!!

#12 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:36 PM

I think, it is not so.

The problem still not solved. There is nothing accidental in this world, always is reason.Now you need to find a reason and eliminate it.
Otherwise everything will be repeated soon. It is highly probable that proper care and cleaning will be required and then it must be regular. It must be done every day.

#13 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:45 PM

The article explains it all was referring to  the fast startup mode only...

Edited by DorisMB1956, 09 August 2017 - 10:51 PM.

#14 DorisMB1956

DorisMB1956
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:48 PM

I think, it is not so.

The problem still not solved. There is nothing accidental in this world, always is reason.Now you need to find a reason and eliminate it.
Otherwise everything will be repeated soon. It is highly probable that proper care and cleaning will be required and then it must be regular. It must be done every day.

True and I did all the virus scans and malware and nothing came up as a problem. So where do I go from there. The system seems to be running fine. Tell me what I should check next and I will be glad to check it. I have followed all the levels of checking that I should according to the instructions on this site and nothing showed. So as far as what caused this I would love to know so it won't occur again, but I have no idea what else to check

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,664 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

The only reason I suggest disabling fast startup is it can cause problems though this was unrelated to your problem. I would continue to use the password. Just remember to write it down and put it in a safe place in case you forget it. It's possible Windows was asking for a password after the new Creator's update but I can't be sure about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users