Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo B570 dropped

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 oldcapri

oldcapri

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

My friend dropped a Lenovo B570 I built and sold to him. Now it will not do anything other than light the white LED telling us the battery is fully charged.
I have disassembled and reassembled it twice, down to removing the processor, to see if disconnecting everything for a while would make a difference. There are no obvious breaks in the motherboard or anything else. I've tried a spare on/off switch and cable. Nothing works.
Can anyone give me ideas?

Thanks, Barry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

I think you have gone well beyond the point of what can reasonably be expected. I might have opened it up once but not twice.

It's not your fault your friend dropped it - it is time for a new laptop.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 oldcapri

oldcapri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:02 PM

I think you have gone well beyond the point of what can reasonably be expected. I might have opened it up once but not twice.

It's not your fault your friend dropped it - it is time for a new laptop.

Chris Cosgrove

*I* think you're right. Maybe I can sell him one of my others.
Still, I'm damn curious about why it won't work.

Barry

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:53 PM

The parts that get damaged/dislodged during a drop incident are the connectors and their soldered connections to the PCBs.  If no power, then concentrate around the battery connections and their wiring/cables.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,224 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:06 PM

There is a modification to an old saying which goes " A friend in need is a bleeping nuisance!".

Never sell to friends - give possibly, lend possibly, but never sell. By all means give advice on what equipments meet their needs but let them make the buy decision. I don't mind being the SysAdmin for family and friends, I even repair equipments to help keep me in booze, but I don't sell people computers.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,051 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

There is a modification to an

" A friend in need is a bleeping nuisance!".

Never sell to friends - give possibly, lend possibly, but never sell. By all means give advice on what equipments meet their needs but let them make the buy decision. I don't mind being the SysAdmin for family and friends, I even repair equipments to help keep me in booze, but I don't sell people computers.

Chris Cosgrove

Yep I'll give labor and computers to friends but won't sell it to them.

I figure if it was a gift than one can not complain although there seems to always be one who will.

There is also another old saying which goes "Some Peoples Kids".

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

#7 oldcapri

oldcapri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

The parts that get damaged/dislodged during a drop incident are the connectors and their soldered connections to the PCBs.  If no power, then concentrate around the battery connections and their wiring/cables.

Roger that. I'll have a look. Thankfully it only takes a few moments to totally unscrew this thing.

BTW, the white battery LED shows when the battery is fully charged, but the orange LED to show it is charging does not work. Something there tells me your advise on battery connections is correct for this case. 

#8 oldcapri

oldcapri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:47 PM

There is a modification to an

" A friend in need is a bleeping nuisance!".

Chris Cosgrove

Yep I'll give labor and computers to friends but won't sell it to them.

I figure if it was a gift than one can not complain although there seems to always be one who will.

There is also another old saying which goes "Some Peoples Kids".

This guy is not a friend really. More of an acquaintance. I think he originally came to me needing some cheap laptop he had purchased repaired. If he had come to me first he wouldn't have needed to repair that Gateway/eMachines piece of junk. The bad news is now I'm his "computer guy."

Edited by oldcapri, 09 August 2017 - 12:47 PM.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:10 PM

oldcapri. I don't know your age but I built a reputation and a career out of being peoples "guy".  Whether a motor that isn't working right to a printer that won't print and everything inbetween.  To this day I have clients from 35 years ago still having me do their yearly clean out of their PC.  Many are clients I had as customers of corporate IT operations needing PC and mainframe service that contacted me to service their home units. 

#10 oldcapri

oldcapri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

oldcapri. I don't know your age but I built a reputation and a career out of being peoples "guy".  Whether a motor that isn't working right to a printer that won't print and everything inbetween.  To this day I have clients from 35 years ago still having me do their yearly clean out of their PC.  Many are clients I had as customers of corporate IT operations needing PC and mainframe service that contacted me to service their home units. 

I have a couple of repeat customers for my hobby. I've been fooling with computers for about 15 years. I've just been wanting to slow down or quit if it isn't my immediate family. That's the only reason I called it "bad" news.

Keeping a good reputation can be golden.

#11 oldcapri

oldcapri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

Looks like I'll just be getting a replacement motherboard. I've found one for $35 delivered. That is comparable to a diagnostic fee at a shop. It seems like a no-brainer. As long as it solves the problem.

#12 oldcapri

oldcapri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 03:56 PM

... and it arrived via UPS early. I have the replacement motherboard in and it works like a charm.

Thanks everyone.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,224 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

Well I am glad that you get this long suffering laptop fixed, but I still think you went well beyond the call of duty !  I admire your dedication.

Chris Cosgrove

#14 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,051 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

You have way more Patience then I. :thumbsup:

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

(Mark Twain)

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something.

(Thomas Edison)

#15 oldcapri

oldcapri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

It was an easy swap. It wasn't even all that many screws compared to some I have taken apart.

B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users