Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Microsoft Edge?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Node_*

Guest_Node_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:59 AM

What is everyone's take on Microsoft Edge? I decided to really give it a go today and quite honestly it doesn't seem like that bad of a browser. It's quite light weight and is decent at loading websites as I need it to be. In all honesty, I could get used to it... but it still needs better extension support.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,828 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

"But it still needs better extension support" is a huge deal for a great many people, myself included.

I also find it painfully slow in reacting when I shift focus to the screen and absolutely hate the "Where to next?" convention whereby there is no web address box at the top of the page by default, which is where I always want to click (and, yes, I'm aware you can and the "where to next" box essentially shifts there, but why is this breaking with convention necessary or desirable?).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 Occasional

Occasional

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

While Edge has good and bad points to consider, I stick with it (at least on most of my Win10 PCs), rather than bring in another company's browser.  

There are a lot of Win10 boxes out there, and Edge is available by default - so if you can get around in Edge, you can work on any Win10 device (even if someone has Firefox or Chrome setup on theirs).  

Also, if I have a non-MS browser, those are more updates to deal with.  

I try to limit extensions for the same reason: trying to keep it simple®.  

Then there's data collection.  How many different companies do you want back-channel chatting with your PC? (BTW, I like Shutup10, to limit the OS to MS conversations).  If I ran a Google OS, I'd probably be Chrome only, for the same reasons.  

Rationale would be reinforced if the Mail app was better (very weak and fragile).  I use full Office Outlook; but that's a full application, with all the resource use.  At least Office is MS, so don't have to add a vendor for those things.  

A few of the things I don't like about Edge:

-  New tab defaulting to MSN "News" page (very slanted to MS's political leanings); but that's easy to switch to frequently used sits display.

-  No Silverlight.  

-  May be Edge causing intermittent "... site can't be reached..." issues for sites I've just accessed.  

-  Good security/privacy extensions I like in Firefox aren't available.  

As usual, it's a matter of compromises, and which ones you feel are easier to live with.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users