Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

How do you feel about people still using XP / Vista?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Node_*

Guest_Node_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

It's not as common as it once was but some people still use Windows XP and Vista. I'm completely unsure as to why - both are completely insecure due to updates no longer being offered and Vista was a train-wreck as it is. I don't really condone people for still using Windows 7 but I feel like people should at least being using Windows 8 if they're not willing to give 10 a try.

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2017 - 01:07 PM.
Moved from All Other Apps to Gen Chat - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,913 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 11:57 AM

I believe you mean, "I don't condemn people for still using Windows 7," or, "I can condone people using Windows 7."

I'm right there with you in regard to either WinXP and WinVista use on machines that are still being used to interact with cyberspace.  They are security Swiss cheese.  I don't think that the nefarious are much interested in, say, getting ransomware or viruses on XP and Vista so much these days, but both are a potential treasure trove for sniffing around for sensitive information, particularly if using the ancient versions of IE that are the latest that can run on either.

I get why people still use Windows 7 and it's still officially supported, so there's nothing wrong with that.  The proverbial writing is on the wall, though, and if they intend to stay with the Windows ecosystem it's my opinion that it's better to change over to Windows 10 sooner rather than later so that they're a part of the massive cohort that's doing so and, consequently, part of the flood of information that's easily available now that becomes harder to slog through later.  As most of the "how does this work/where did this go" type questions get answered in the early days there are fewer and fewer people actively out there offering answers to those sorts of questions like there are now.  Also, given that the Windows 10 user interface has undergone major tweaks since it's introduction when you search for certain things you will find a variety of answers that, while 100% accurate when given, no longer apply.  It's a PITA to sort through that amount of material to get to what you need.

I would not recommend that anyone go from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1.   Windows 8 and 8.1 were tectonic shifts in the UI that left behind far too much of what was familiar and were clearly designed with the idea that all the world would be using touch screen devices of some sort.  Many don't, and won't.  Windows 10 recognized the flaw in that design philosophy and married the best of Windows up to and including 7 with the new UI and features of Windows 8 that were good and the transition from 7 to 10 is much smoother as a result.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 MrSippi

MrSippi

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:44 PM

I don't really condone people for still using Windows 7 but...

What dya taliking about Willis??

Looking for Mrs Sippi

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,367 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 02:40 PM

I really wish they would leave those systems and adapt, I mean sure windows 10 has its issues but its not that hard to use as is linux.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

I try not to worry about what others think about my actions...and I reciprocate as well as I can.

People who use XP (unsupported) and Vist (unsupported)...all do so at their own risk and I'm sure that by now...they realize that.

There are some members here who still run some of the 9x versions of Windows...and I'm sure they don't give a fig what anyone else thinks about their using these versions of Windows.

For the record...I run XP and I have since 2001 and despite the noted "lack of security" due to stoppage of critical updates...I have not had an infection, an invasion of any type that interfered at all with my daily usage.  I suspect that the same might be true of other users, including those who are running 9x versions and I believe that this is probably due to the fact that the misanthropes who conduct malicious attacks, create/implement malware, etc...well, I believe that they focus on the O/S which provides the largest target of the day...as opposed to those versions which are well past their prime in the public eye.

I could be wrong and just be lucky enough that no one comes up with anything new for XP systems...I don't know but I do know that the old protections inherent up to the time of abandonment...seem to continue do the job on my little PC.

I don't suggest that anyone install/run XP...but I recognize that some users just don't give a care and prefer the simplicity of not having to become familiar with a newer version of Windows.

Myself...I run XP primarily because I like to have some familiarity with its quirks when I visit the BC XP Forum...and I don't think my system is in any danger that can be verified or certified as capable of disrupting my daily use.  I have a triple boot...with XP, Win 7 Home, and Win 10  neither O/S provides me with consistently troublesome situations.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 August 2017 - 12:10 PM.

#6 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

If I had physical space, I'd own a computer for every operating system on the planet! 

I believe that any individual who elects to use a computer has the freedom to evaluate the risk/benefit ratio for any operating system. New or old. Hooray for choices!

Oh, and as far as support for the majority of operating systems available to a consumer, don't forget to look right here in BleepingComputer (to include XP and Vista!) (If you have time, do some reading in the Security forum, talk about incredible!)

Cheers!

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:08 PM

I still run Flight Simulator X on a Windows Xp OS and keep it off line.

I have a complete image so if any problems happen such as hard drive failure I'm able to reinstall and be back in business.

Although unsupported I believe if a user applies smart web habits then a user can be somewhat safe against attacks.

I don't recommend others to use any non supported OS and if they choose to it is at their own choice.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

(Mark Twain)

"Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something."

(Thomas Edison)

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,913 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:29 PM

The-Toolman wrote, in part:  "I don't recommend others to use any non supported OS and if they choose to it is at their own choice."

And that encapsulates my attitude, too.  That being said, I want them to make that as an informed choice, so I point them to reference material regarding the risks posed based upon how they're using it.

When it comes to always-offline use of any OS I say:  have at it!  [But given the age of a lot of hardware that runs XP, for example, be prepared for "sudden death" at any random time.]

I definitely don't spend my waking hours ruminating on who uses what OS, and how.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#9 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:29 PM

that's the thing with PC's - they are Personal Computers.

if you want to use XP, Vista or anything else, who are we to judge.

I mean, personally, I move onto the latest OS reasonably straight away (after the first few months have gone by and the early adopters have found the remaining bugs).

And none of them have been bad, they have all had their little 'undesirable features' shall we say.

They appeal to the masses but there will always, always be the nay-sayers.

If XP still rocks your boat, I may not agree, but who am I to tell you different.

As long as you know all the facts as to why you use an outdated OS, knock yourself out!

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,913 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

if you want to use XP, Vista or anything else, who are we to judge.

As long as you know all the facts as to why you use an outdated OS, knock yourself out!

I won't go that far.  But I'm not someone who believes that making educated judgments about all sorts of things is bad in any way.  Now, feeling a necessity to share that judgment is another issue altogether.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it. . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.
       ~ Irving Babbitt

One must always be ready to reopen one's mind when new information becomes available, though, but to prepare for that "supreme act."

I doubt that any but a very select few have anything more than, "Because it's what I like and what I'm used to," as the justification for continuing to use virtually any OS.  And for the most determined "the facts" and the dangers are irrelevant.

~ Mark Twain

#11 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:54 PM

If the Internet wasn't a thing and Microsoft Office was fully supported for Windows XP, I wouldn't personally see a reason to upgrade from Windows XP to another OS. This is mainly because it is the OS that I know how to navigate best and because it hits the perfect spot for me between having various functions and customizations, and still staying relatively simplistic. I don't know why, but I find it hard to fully recognize as simplistic, OS's that are so big that they can't be stored on a standard 4.7GB DVD disk. With that being said, Windows XP is practically history now.:)

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:18 PM

@The-Toolman #7

FSX works fine on 64 bit Win 7 as do CFS2 and 3. It is possible to get CFS1 to run but it takes a bit of fiddling with the main config file. There are a couple of good threads on the UK FlightSim forum on the subject.

Once I have thrashed out a keyboard problem on one of my laptops - it has convinced itself it is an American laptop -  I will try FSX on 8.1 since you have brought the subject up. I can't try it on Win 10 because I don't have access to a computer running 10 that the owner would want FSX on.

Chris Cosgrove

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

@The-Toolman #7

FSX works fine on 64 bit Win 7 as do CFS2 and 3. It is possible to get CFS1 to run but it takes a bit of fiddling with the main config file. There are a couple of good threads on the UK FlightSim forum on the subject.

Once I have thrashed out a keyboard problem on one of my laptops - it has convinced itself it is an American laptop -  I will try FSX on 8.1 since you have brought the subject up. I can't try it on Win 10 because I don't have access to a computer running 10 that the owner would want FSX on.

Chris Cosgrove

Hey Chris Cosgrove,

Yeah I know I have just been running it on this Windows XP computer that I built for it and all hardware was designed for Windows XP.

I have Windows 7 Pro 64 bit which I will use for my next Flight Simulator Build.

I bought X-Plane and it will run on Windows and Linux but on Linux it is a real big PITA to install and get working properly.

So Windows is the way to go for Flight Simulators.

I've considered another build acquiring parts from wherever I can as I have a couple of i5 processors and some really killer graphics cards on hand.

I still need to find a motherboard that I can grab for next to nothing that maybe needs a recap.

I know I do things kinda off of the wall although I have always enjoyed taking non working electronics and make them working electronics again.

I built my first SW radio receiver at the age of twelve and then got a ham radio license at the age of twelve when you still had to send and receive five words using Morse code.

"Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer."

(Mark Twain)

"Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something."

(Thomas Edison)

#14 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,034 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 12:28 AM

when you still had to send and receive five words using Morse code.

-- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / .. ... / ... - .. .-.. .-.. / --. --- .. -. --. / ... - .-. --- -. --.

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 14 August 2017 - 11:32 AM

when you still had to send and receive five words using Morse code.

-- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / .. ... / ... - .. .-.. .-.. / --. --- .. -. --. / ... - .-. --- -. --.

:thumbup2:

(Mark Twain)

(Thomas Edison)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users