Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using computer for home security

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 BlueGalaxy

BlueGalaxy

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:00 AM

How can I use my computer as a security camera for my apartment? Preferably, the computer would be on while I'm not at home and take some photos when it detects motion in the room. When the motion would be detected the computer should save the photo into a file, or send me an email, or run a shell script. I would accept either Windows or Linux software. Is it possible to make the computer sleep, with the camera on, and then wake up when motion is detected?

I have another question. It seems that for the above solution to work, the computer must be physically present in the room, making it a target for possible theft. How can I instead use a Raspberry Pi or Arduino to control the cameral? I am willing and able to learn a new technology. I know a bit about programming.

For my purpose, I would like the camera to only take pictures when motion is detected in the room. I don't want the camera to take pictures all the time, or record a video stream. Would any of you guys recommend a camera that is precise enough? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CyberSec_ET

CyberSec_ET

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 02:25 AM

How can I use my computer as a security camera for my apartment? Preferably, the computer would be on while I'm not at home and take some photos when it detects motion in the room. When the motion would be detected the computer should save the photo into a file, or send me an email, or run a shell script. I would accept either Windows or Linux software. Is it possible to make the computer sleep, with the camera on, and then wake up when motion is detected?

I have another question. It seems that for the above solution to work, the computer must be physically present in the room, making it a target for possible theft. How can I instead use a Raspberry Pi or Arduino to control the cameral? I am willing and able to learn a new technology. I know a bit about programming.

For my purpose, I would like the camera to only take pictures when motion is detected in the room. I don't want the camera to take pictures all the time, or record a video stream. Would any of you guys recommend a camera that is precise enough? Thank you.

PC-Based Home Security: Do It Yourself 

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/PC-Based-Home-Security,review-1630.html

Edited by CyberSec_ET, 06 August 2017 - 02:33 AM.

#3 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:09 AM

I got a Dlink DCS-5020 IP camera that does everything you mentioned BlueGalaxy.

no need for a PC at all, connects wirelessly to the router, takes 6 shots when motion is detected, 1 per second, 3 seconds prior and 3 seconds after the trigger event.

but that's all completely customisable.  and can do emails and I can log on remotely from any where.  very cool.

almost all IP cameras can do this however.

as for making a target, that will be the some issue with whatever solution you go for; the camera itself, a PC, the router.

Edited by dropbear, 06 August 2017 - 03:10 AM.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users