Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux (mint) safe to use via wifi?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 frldyz

frldyz

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

You hear about all the risk, security and privacy issues when using wifi.

I'll be out of town for a few days on an older ( el cheapo ) laptop that has wifi.
I plan to use the wifi from the place I will be staying @.

I have a laptop that has Win 10, but I plan to try out my Linux Mint that I just downloaded ( its on a boottable USB .  I don't intend to install a V.M @ this time )

I subscribe to NordVPN ( It's not yet installed on this laptop ) but I was wondering is Linux Mint safe and private to use right out of the box ( figuratively speaking ) protecting my privacy and data etc...

Or is there a VPN I will want to use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:25 AM

It's not your OS that determines whether you're "safe" to use a publicly available wi-fi network or not. The security (or lack of it) is the same whether you are using Windows or Linux, since it is determined by the network settings of the network, which are determined by the network server, not by the user's OS.

Using a VPN will also not affect the security of using an unsafe network, unless the VPN client you use employs end to end encryption.

In that regard, using the Tor browser should give you a reasonable level of privacy, though personally, if I had something "sensitive" I had to do online, I would not do it over an "open" network.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users