Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound issue. Tried (almost) everything

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jellyphish

jellyphish

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:49 PM

Hello world,

So my computer isn't producing any sound at all.

I've checked the drivers and they say their working and present.
I've tried testing my audio devices on other systems and they work (I primarily use headphones)
I've trying restoring the default on my playback settings.
I've tried updating drivers.
I've tried restarting both the audio and the audio endpoint builder on services.

It's a windows 7 PC. Custom built.

It's running an AMD Fx™-6390 6-core processor.

I run a sound blaster ZxR as my sound card.

I'm not sure if I've missed to try everything but I feel like I've pretty much went through all my options
I just got it back from a repair shop and thought maybe it was my soundcard was physically tampered with but it says it's working in the settings so I'm not sure.

If you could give me any ideas or feedback that would be great.

I also apologize if this isn't the correct forum to be posting in. 

Edited by jellyphish, 05 August 2017 - 07:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:01 PM

Just an idea.  Is the Soundblaster selected as the default output device?  If it's reset to outputting via the internal sound chip (if present) or HDMI audio etc. then you won't hear anything through the Sound Blaster card.  This has happened to me from time to time while using an external USB sound device.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 jellyphish

jellyphish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

Just an idea.  Is the Soundblaster selected as the default output device?  If it's reset to outputting via the internal sound chip (if present) or HDMI audio etc. then you won't hear anything through the Sound Blaster card.  This has happened to me from time to time while using an external USB sound device.

Yes it is. Although nothing changes when I unplug it and try to put my headphones through the front port on the tower.

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:57 PM

I just got it back from a repair shop and thought maybe it was my soundcard was physically tampered with but it says it's working in the settings so I'm not sure.

Why was it in the shop? What issues were you having before? You mentioned updating the drivers, did you do that in device manager or going to the manufacturer's website? It's always much more reliable to go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest and greatest drivers.

Edited by HyperHenry, 05 August 2017 - 07:57 PM.

#5 jellyphish

jellyphish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:27 PM

Why was it in the shop? What issues were you having before? You mentioned updating the drivers, did you do that in device manager or going to the manufacturer's website? It's always much more reliable to go to the manufacturer's website and download the latest and greatest drivers.

It was in the shop becaseu my SSD was being weird. So it was a separate issue. I did just update the drivers from a device manager, but I guess  I can check out the manufacturer's website

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

Have you gone to device manager, uninstalled the various drivers....and then simply rebooted immediately ?

Edited by Condobloke, 05 August 2017 - 08:58 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 jellyphish

jellyphish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

Have you gone to device manager, uninstalled the various drivers....and then simply rebooted immediately ?

Yes I have and that hasn't worked either unfortunately.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:16 AM

So just to clarify, sound worked fine, it went in for "repair". And it came back with sound not working?

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 MrSippi

MrSippi

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

You sure it's not your speakers?

Looking for Mrs Sippi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users