Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

click click click

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

yep, hdd trouble.
My daughter asked me one day why here laptop was clicking.  Little while later told me the screen said there may be a failure and we should backup the data and then run diagnostics.  Of course, diagnostics could not even run because the hdd wasn't working.  Tried booting a few times...  hdd not found.

Obvious answer is to replace the hdd which I intend to do.
I have a couple questions though...  one is physical the other is software related so I can ask it somewhere else if need be but, never hurts to throw it out there.  :)

We didn't have any backups of this device.  Was thinking of seeing if the guys at my mom's work might take a look at it...  They know their stuff and, let's just say they likely have any necessary equipment. 
But. first I decided to pop the thing into my own computer just to see if I could access it.  And, I could.  It ran checkdisk first but, once I was in my own computer, I could see and read her hdd.  I copied her pictures to a flash drive already.

So...  question 1.  If the drive clicks in her computer, why can I access it in mind?  It still sounds funny...  when it's being accessed it has a trill like sound...  like an extremely muffled machine gun.  Best way I can describe it.  Basically, it doesn't sound healthy but it's also not doing that same click.  Would position matter?  I have it more upside down kind of dangling in my computer.  Unrecognized in one computer but accessible in another.  Based on the sounds, I'd say the drive is still not healthy but, I want to make sure I can rule out other things I guess.  Sure don't want a new hdd to start clicking too. 
This laptop(daughter's) was purchased back in February or March of this year.  Kind of young for such a failure.  Considered contacting HP but I know they'll just tell me to mail it to them and I don't feel like waiting for who knows how long.  So, I'm considering just replacing the hdd myself... especially since I had to reinstall windows from the start since the version of 10 they had on there wasn't allowing me to do the big upgrade at that time.  So, I'll have to do that all over again.
Any thoughts on the failure?  and why it is readable in my pc?
Oh, don't know if it matters at all but >>THIS<< is her laptop that we bought... only hers was teal.  And the hdd in there was WD10jpvx. 

Software question.  I'm working to recover what I can.  Most important is my daughter's schoolwork.  (she's worried about her Minion Rush progress but I don't know that I can help her with that.)
We use homeschool software called Switched on Schoolhouse.  It uses a database and we did not back it up to a flash drive like we were supposed to.  Trying to just open the program here on my pc it wants to access the SQL database which of course isn't running on mine.  I figure all that info has to be on that hdd still but wonder if it's possible to access in a way to back it up so when she gets a new hdd, I can restore it.
Their FAQ doesn't help much with that.  It's either use the backup you save or, simply go in and delete the assignments you know were done.  So, worst case scenario she wont have to start over at the beginning.
Any thoughts on that? 
Other than the schoolwork I can't think of any other data I need to find and save at this point.  If anyone knows how to make sure she doesn't lose her Minion Rush progress, I'm sure she'd be thankful   ha. 

Sorry for all the questions and rambling.  This is all going to work out one way or another but some extra thoughts on the matter are sure helpful.  Thanks.  :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

Primary is to get the data off then check the hard drive. 

See this page on the software. Hopefully it will let you find the location of the data files. The curriculum is in the root of C:\

https://www.aopschools.com/guidelines_745

If your daughter has browser bookmarks saved then back those up too. All her data will be in the USERS directory under her login name.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

Hi,

For SQL databases look for .mdf and .ldf files backup them, it should be possible to restore the Database latter using SQL Studio...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

Thanks.  Found the mdf and ldf files.
There's a part of me wondering if I could simply copy all of the school program's folders/flies and after installing the program on a new hdd, just overwrite certain files.  Also debating on whether I could get cloning software if this hdd stays running enough to just clone it onto a new hdd.  I'll look into SQL studio if that's something that may work.  Going to look at new hdd's now...  and keep looking for anything else I might need to backup. 

I did look for the bookmarks to backup though I'm not sure she had anything important in there.

Once I think I have enough copied off the drive I'll see what tools I have on THIS computer to test the hdd. 

#5 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:33 AM

back to the hdd...  I'm wondering...  the model that failed is WD10jpvx.  Searching for a new hdd on amazon, that very model is the cheapest one.  It has decent ratings and WD is a good brand...  and, it may not have been the model, just a random bad drive... or, who knows.
Has me wondering if it might not hurt to look into a different model even if it means another $10 or so.
Any thoughts?
Wish it was easy(or possible) to know what actually caused the drive to fail to begin with.  :(  Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

#6 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:02 AM

often, the dreaded hard drive 'click of death', and it not even beginning to boot means it's done for....

Some will resort , with mixed/partial success!) to putting the drive in a freezer a few hours, hoping to gain a half hour of life to recover some files,...if the alternative is trashing it, nothing to lose. (If it even starts to work, prioritize on files you want the most, there likely will not be time to clone it...)

Unless the data is priceless, most data recovery options START at $300....check out/search for 300DDR....; prices escalate quickly if they need to transplant platters, etc....

Edited by MDD1963, 08 August 2017 - 06:06 AM.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#7 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:31 AM

Okay, going to purchase a new hdd for the laptop.  I am SO picky, untrusting, and indecisive...  takes days for me to narrow down choices sometimes for some things.  I don't want to get a drive that will fail.  My guess is that this failure was a fluke... at least, I hope it was.  Sure hope there isn't anything else wrong in the laptop that caused the drive to fail prematurely. 

I'm also assuming the drives I'm looking at in the price range I'm looking at, they'll all be fairly equal anyway but figure it never hurts to get some opinions.  :)

These are the drives I've narrowed down my searching to.  Trying to keep the cost down and the specs about what they were originally, a 1tb drive.

1. WD 2016 New Blue 1TB 2.5 inches Laptop Notebook Internal SATA 6Gb/s Hard Drive 9.5mm Height 5400RPM Model WD10JPVX  (this is the same model that failed.) $55.14

2. Toshiba 1TB 5400RPM SATA3/SATA 6.0 GB/s 8MB Notebook Hard Drive (2.5 inch)- MQ01ABD100 $53.48  (only 7 in stock, order soon... ha)

3. HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 1TB 5400RPM SATA 6Gbps 8MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (0J22413) (HTS541010A9E680)  $54.73

Any thoughts?  :)

#8 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 03:30 AM

Hi,

If you want to gain more speed without loosing storage capacity by installing an SSD then I would go with an SSHD drive.

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/consumer/upgrade/laptop-solid-state-hybrid-drive/

The HGST drives seems to have a lower failure rate according to some reports.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#9 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

Thanks.  I wasn't aware they had those hybrids.  Interesting.  Is the connection the same as SATA or SSD?
Either way, the speed isn't an issue.  Regular hdd's boot quickly enough for us.  We don't do anything demanding on that laptop where it would matter one bit.
I may go ahead and give the HGST a try.

#10 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,968 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:13 AM

Thanks.  I wasn't aware they had those hybrids.  Interesting.  Is the connection the same as SATA or SSD?

Its a normal SATA hdd only different inside.

___
Rui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users