Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Prebuilt PC HDD & SSD Power Cables have 4pins?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TheRoyalAssassin

TheRoyalAssassin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:32 PM

Hello guys,

so I've recently decided to upgrade my prebuilt PC:

Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790 @ 3.60GHz 42 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
MEDION H81H3-EM2 (SOCKET 0) 28 °C
Graphics
2476WM (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (MSI) 45 °C
Storage
119GB SAMSUNG MZ7LF128HCHP-00000 (SSD) 29 °C
1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0 (SATA) 29 °C
Optical Drives
WinCDEmu drive
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-216DB
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

So basically, I wanted to upgrade my gtx 960 to a 1080ti, but then everything started to fall apart. I have a 450w PSU, and after thinking about buying the 1080ti, I instantly realised that I'd have to change the psu too. I decided to get a 600w psu and that would be it. But then I took a look at my motherboard and realised that all of the ports are messed up. So my motherboard has a 14pin port for power (what the f***?). And then I said: "I'll just buy a new motherboard too." But than I looked into everything even more and noticed that my HDD and SSD have been connected to my motherboard with a weird 4pin to 2pin power connector. I had made a video that I wanted to show to my friend because he himself has made his own PC recently, but he is very busy right now, but I guess that I'm just gonna put it here.
I'd greatly appreciate some help with this. Sorry if the video is too cringeworthy, I had originally intended to send it to a friend.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

As for video card upgrade, AMD Vega is coming very soon and prices are already very high so you would want to see what happens when Vega gets out. If nothing else, cheaper prices.

As for SATA drives, those are probably no problem PSU wise as power connector seems to be normal SATA power connectors. I suggest you sell whole system and buy totally new one as you'll need new motherboard, PSU and most probably case too. Try to sell that and get something better.

#3 TheRoyalAssassin

TheRoyalAssassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

Well to be honest I haven't seen any other motherboards that support these HDD/SSD power cables:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1ejFyLFXXXXbZXVXXq6xXFXXX6/ATX-font-b-Motherboard-b-font-4pin-to-2-Port-Serial-ATA-SATA-font-b-Hard.jpg

Because thats how my drives are connected to the motherboard right now.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:19 PM

Yeah, that is very weird cable. Anyway black connector seem to be normal SATA found on regular power supplies.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

The problem is you have a Medion using their own proprietary design. I'm inclined to agree with the suggestion to sell it and upgrade to something using industry standard parts.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 TheRoyalAssassin

TheRoyalAssassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

So that means that if I would want to change my motherboard, I'd just have to get new power cables?

Edit: Oh wow, that's really messed up. Well then, I guess I'll just build a new PC completely from scratch then.

Edited by TheRoyalAssassin, 05 August 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:54 PM

Lenovo does the same thing. 14 pin power and 2 4 pin SATA power connectors on the MB. 

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/462274/Lenovo-Thinkcentre-M82.html?page=82#manual

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:06 PM

So that means that if I would want to change my motherboard, I'd just have to get new power cables?

Edit: Oh wow, that's really messed up. Well then, I guess I'll just build a new PC completely from scratch then.

It really seems the only option for a significant upgrade on that PC yes.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

I may be wrong but couldn't you get a new PSU, connect the SATA power cables from the PSU directly to the drives, forgetting the 4 pin connections on the motherboard and purchase a 24pin to 14 pin adapter?

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-Adapter-Cable-Lenovo/dp/B00WE5KSFQ

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,454 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

I may be wrong but couldn't you get a new PSU, connect the SATA power cables from the PSU directly to the drives, forgetting the 4 pin connections on the motherboard and purchase a 24pin to 14 pin adapter?

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Supply-Adapter-Cable-Lenovo/dp/B00WE5KSFQ

I generally do not trust that kind of adapters but yes, that is one possibility. Still, buying new LGA1150 motherboard does not sound good idea as old motherboard is almost as good as junk and probably case too. So if that whole machine could be sold, it's probably better deal. There may also be somewhat nasty surprises when upgrading OEM machine.

#11 TheRoyalAssassin

TheRoyalAssassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

Well what scares me about these 24 to 14 pin adapters is their safety. Wouldn't that fry my motherboard?
Edit: Exactly what Drillingmachine said, but selling a whole system is a hassle, especially an older one.

Edited by TheRoyalAssassin, 05 August 2017 - 03:26 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

I'm not sure it would fry your motherboard. 

This page shows how a person made an adapter to accomplish the same thing as purchased adapter.

http://www.adventuresindiy.com/computer/lenovo-h530s-how-to-upgrade-your-power-supply

Optimally, you are better off selling the computer as other posters mentioned.

#13 Zone_86

Zone_86

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:37 AM

The adaptor would be worth a shot better than selling the system.

Edited by Zone_86, 15 August 2017 - 02:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users