Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 M.2 drive question.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

If I went with an NVME M.2 drive for my scratch/media cache, does anyone know if my board will support it?  I have the M.2 slot already used for my OS and that is not going to change.  Does my board support 2 at the NVME speed if I got an adapter and used a PCIe slot with an NVME M.2 drive?  I can't seem to find any info on it right now.  
I have the Gigabyte AX370 Gaming 5 board.  I'm sure it will work but I don't know if it will be slower because of already using the M.2 lane?  Does anyone know?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

There's only one M.2 connector on that board. If you got M.2 to PCI Express adapter, you have 2 good choices:

1. Put adapter + M.2 into middle PCI Express x16 slot. As result primary PCI Express x16 slot will operate at x8 speed. This way M.2 should work full speed.

2. Put adapter + M.2 into lowest PCI Express x16 slot. As result all PCI Express x1 slots are disabled. This way M.2 should work at max PCI Express x4 2.0 speeds (around 1600-1800 MB/s).

#3 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:28 PM

Where do you find that info or do you just know all about this stuff? 

When you say M.2 are you referring to the NVME type M.2 or the version that is the same as a regular SSD card? 

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

I just know something and things I check from http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-5-rev-10#kf

When talking M.2 I mean NVME drive as SATA is only supported on already occupied M.2 slot. Also I see no reason to put SATA drive on M.2 slot. But anyway SATA M.2 drives won't work on those PCI Express slots with basic adapter.

#5 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

When you say SATA M.2 do you mean the NVME again?  When you say SATA M.2 drives won't work on those PCI Express slots with a basic adapter are you referring to NVME M.2 cards?  What would I need to make an NVME M.2 work on those slots?  Sorry for all of the questions but I've never paid much attention to these slots before because it was never necessary.  I've never used this many slots before but then I have never built a machine quite like what I'm going to build either.  Thanks.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:03 PM

When I say SATA M.2 I mean SATA M.2. And because M.2 drives are either SATA or NVME, if they are not SATA they are NVME. Simple.

NVME drives should work on those slots. You'll need proper adapter for that, something like this https://www.startech.com/HDD/Adapters/pci-express-m2-pcie-ssd-adapter~PEX4M2E1

It should work but it may require some tweaking on BIOS and/or operating system. Probably not very much.

If you want dual M.2 slots, then look for board like this http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370%20Taichi/

#7 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 01:48 PM

I already have the Gigabyte board.  

So let's see if I got it down.  I buy an adapter maybe this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815256014&cm_re=silverstone_m.2_adapter-_-15-256-014-_-Product

I put it in the middle slot with an M.2 NVME card and I'll have something as fast as the original M.2 card.  I may have to tweak it a little in bios and then maybe not.

Or I just buy the two SSDs that are on sale and raid 0 for an even faster scenario.  It will take a little more work and is not as safe but faster and cheaper. 

Or just get a plain old SSD and pop it in. 

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

Adapter looks to be right type.

How fast is your M.2? If under 2000 MB/s, you could as well put in to lowest slot. If faster, that should be equal to board's M.2 slot. According to Gigabyte pages, there is no need for BIOS settings.

Last 2 options are also possible, SATA drives are more hassle free.

#9 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:55 PM

The read on my OS drive that is NVME is over 2000 and I don't know of any that are over 2 in the write. 

I haven't found a particular NVME drive right yet either.  I was wondering though of all the drives in your computer, which one should be the fastest?  OS-programs or scratch-media cache or projects & media? Or does it matter as long as they are all fast?

By the way I'm setting it up for a lot of Adobe video work.  PPro, AE, PS, Animation etc is why I put those names.

Edited by ingeborgdot, 05 August 2017 - 02:56 PM.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:02 PM

Then you have some reason to go with fastest connectors available (PCI Express 3.0 x4).

I would say scratch disk should be fastest. OS and programs like faster disk but with that kind of work, I prefer scratch disk to have fastest access. You may even consider RAMdisk.

#11 ingeborgdot

ingeborgdot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

RAMdisk??  How does that work?  Where can I find it?

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:20 PM

RAMdisk = it creates disk drive that uses RAM. Ultra fast but you need quite lot RAM to make it work effectively.

That was free but is not any more https://www.softperfect.com/products/ramdisk/ but may try it anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users