Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New .amnesia extension - infected July 2017 - Amnesia 2 Decrypt does not work

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1 reply to this topic

#1 icircletech

icircletech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:55 AM

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I apologize that my first post is asking for help.

I have done some due diligence, and searched the forums here, and scoured google for help, but I was unable to find any solutions.

-I have a computer that was recently infected with a ransomware that encrypts the files using the ".amnesia" extension.

-The ransom note looks like all the classic "Amnesia"  style text files, but with the email address pointing to cryptor2017@protonmail.com

-I have run through the ransomware ID tool and it comes back identified as "Amnesia2" and a secondary hit as "Scarab"

-I have run both amnesia decryption tools, with no joy.

Can anyone provide me some advice or direction to help decrypt these files?

I have samples I can provide here:

Ransom notehttp://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=45977108103053191002

Sample encrypted filehttp://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=17036767325840497758

Unencrypted sample filehttp://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=04292292236035887833

Thank you in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 06:59 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer

Any files that are encrypted with Mich78 / Scarab Ransomware will have the .[mich78@usa.com] extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename and leave files (ransom) notes named recovery.txt.

Any files that are encrypted with Ammesia Ransomware will have the .amnesia, .01, .02, .CRYPTOBOSS, .@decrypt_2017, .SON, .LOCKED, .badnews, .shdwds, @decrypt_files2017 or .TRMT extension appended to the end of the encrypted data filename and leave files (ransome notes) named HOW TO RECOVER ENCRYPTED FILES.TXT, RECOVER-FILES.HTML. The ransom note instructs victims to contact the cyber-criminals at "s1an1er111@protonmail.com" to get payment instructions...cryptor2017@protonmail.com probably is a new email address they are using.

Samples of any encrypted files, ransom notes or suspicious executable's (installer, malicious files, attachments) that you suspect were involved in causing the infection can be submitted (uploaded) here with a link to this topic. There is a "Link to topic where this file was requested" box under the Browse... button. Doing that will be helpful with analyzing and investigating by our crypto malware experts.

There is an ongoing discussion in this topic where victims can post comments, ask questions and seek further assistance. Other victims have been directed there to share information, experiences and suggestions.Rather than have everyone with individual topics, it would be best (and more manageable for staff) if you posted any more questions, comments or requests for assistance in the above support topic discussion...it includes experiences by experts, a variety of IT consultants, end users and company reps who have been affected by ransomware infections. To avoid unnecessary confusion, this topic is closed.

Thanks
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users