Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about a home theater computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

I have built a home theater computer so I can watch all my movies and other videos on my TV. This computer is never going to be connected to the Internet. So my question is, is it possible to stop Windows 10 from popping up messages like you need to install an antivirus program. Or if I do have an antivirus program installed how to stop it from popping up messages to update it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

Hi 1up2down,

You can enable or disable Windows Defender with attached batch script.

You can also turn off notifications from Control Panel --> Security and Maintenance --> Change Security and Maintenance settings

Attached Files

Edited by FreeBooter, 05 August 2017 - 09:50 AM.

Posted Image

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:44 PM

Hi and thanks very much. I will give it a try now

#4 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

You are very welcome!

Posted Image

#5 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:20 PM

Hi again
Found Change Security and Maintenance settings alright, but haven't worked out which to turn off yet. However that shouldn't be a problem. I did managed to disabled Windows Defender with your attachment though. So thanks again.

#6 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:27 PM

Siince Windows Defender is an anti-virus program you could just enable it, let it run in the background and be secure in the knowledge that any updates it may require will be automatically applied by MS through the Win 10 update program. You should never see an update notification for it.

If your TV is connected to the internet than it would be sensible to have Defender running.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

Neither my TV or home theater computer is connected to the Internet. So what are you suggesting? Not to disable Windows Defender and it will update itself without an Internet connection. Personally though, I cannot see the need for any kind of protection if there is no Internet connection.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:54 PM

My misunderstanding.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:55 AM

Is the computer connected to your home network?  Not seeing what content you're going to be watching or how it is going to get on the computer.

If the computer is on a network it should be protected, MSBlaster taught us that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users