Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can clicking on a VirusTotal link to malware cause slowness or unresponsiveness?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

Hi all!

About a month ago, I was reading a Malwarebytes-related topic in this forum, which contained a VirusTotal link to malware, and ever since clicking on that link out of curiosity (stupid, I know), the spinning dot while loading forum pages has been slow or unresponsive.

Oftentimes I have to click the cancel button to make the spinning dot stop, which may or may not load the page, and if the latter, I have to click reload as well, which is rather annoying.

I have scanned my system with all my anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-exploit/ransomware etc. tools, and even disk image restored my system with Acronis True Image 2017, but the issue persists.

As such, I am thinking of reinstalling Windows 10 in conjunction with the upcoming Fall Creators Update.

And hence, my question is as follows;

Can clicking on a VirusTotal link to malware cause slowness or unresponsiveness?

Thank you very much in advance!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 05 August 2017 - 10:34 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 07:05 PM

If you mean the link from Post #1...then no. Those pages are just reports/analysis of files submitted with results from the anti-virus vendors.

I click on those links all the time and never experienced anything as you describe.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 726 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

Hi, quietman7!

Thank you for the prompt and insightful reply! :)

Understood. Nice to know that the link is safe, so that is not the culprit.

I reread the pinned topic about slow computer/browser, and got some ideas.

Namely to check for Windows Updates, and found one that I immediately installed. Then I checked for a new UEFI version, and found one that I will download tomorrow, as I was interrupted by thunder and lightning, and had to turn off my computer for today.

I will also try to reset Firefox.

Will let you know how it goes.

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

Yes it's best to wait until the thunder storm passes...lightning strikes can knock out a computer. Good luck.

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 726 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:23 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Thanks.

I have now upgraded my UEFI, which went well. I have also reset Firefox, which went well too, which is quite a bit of work, given all the add-ons mentioned in my signature, as well as defining StartPage.com as start page and default search engine. :thumbsup:

However, as for whether the issue has been successfully resolved, is necessarily somewhat blurred as links sometimes load fast, and other times slowly, and since I have been dealing with this issue for about a month, I really cannot be sure unless I reinstall my OS, but all in due time.

So for now, I think I am okay. :)

Thank you very much for the help! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

...as for whether the issue has been successfully resolved, is necessarily somewhat blurred as links sometimes load fast, and other times slowly...

That happens to me all the time depending on what link/web page I am trying to access. I have just learned to live with it.

#7 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 726 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 10:57 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Yes, patience pays off.

Thank you!

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 07 August 2017 - 11:09 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2017 - 05:07 PM

:thumbup2:

#9 midimusicman79

midimusicman79
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 726 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

Hi again, quietman7!

Sorry for the long delay, but:

Update: Recently, while helping another member in the Networking forum, a technician suspected some issue with the Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) table.

I instantly decided to perform some research on the above-mentioned subject, and subsequently from an elevated command prompt, I checked my own by running the arp -a command, and to my surprise, there was an Automatic Private Internet Protocol Addressing (APIPA) 169.254.0.0/16 address. :exclame:

So again from the same command prompt I immediately ran the netsh interface ip delete arpcache command to flush it. And afterwards, the spinning dot was quick again and consequently, links and forum pages also load fast again. :thumbsup:

I have no idea why and how that address got into my system, because on our home network there are just me and my dad, and we both use Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP), and AFAIK no static IP addresses, but anyway, I obviously managed to find the culprit! B)

Thank you very much for the help! :) The issue has been successfully resolved! :thumbup2:

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 21 August 2017 - 10:52 AM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,590 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 02:05 PM

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Sometimes persistence pays off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users