Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Linux Version

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:57 PM

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/060913/16730_id.html?.v=1

Sounds very interesting, perhaps worth looking up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joedude

Joedude

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 22 September 2006 - 11:03 AM

Great article. It has always been just a matter of time anyway. Unfortunately, the days of linux being too complicated for the average user have been left behind about 3 years ago. It's now entering a domain where (particularly in Ubuntu's case) you never have to leave the GUI, which was a lot of windows users gripes. Besides the obvious implications with office products, Open Office has stepped up as well to create an office set that is equally comparible with MS Office, just as versatile and much more cross platform/format friendly. I hope I live to see the day where linux distro's really do divide up the dominant market. Ubuntu seems to be bringing that closer and closer to reality with every passing week.
If someone tells you to su rm -rf /
DON'T DO IT!!!!
Be in the know, Bash smart!

#3 wheeldawg

wheeldawg

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 24 September 2006 - 08:43 PM

I wonder if Microsoft is even a little nervous about the emerging Linux and Open source Software movement.

I currently have two computers at home, my newest pc is a Windows XP system, my main machine. I recently helped my mom set up a new pc and took her old HP with a dead hard drive and fixed and decided to check out Linux.

I bought a OEM copy of Linspire for $20, but OMG what a turd it turned out to be. No sound and no driver that I could find, or any other way to get it working. The web browser didn't work, nor did Linspire's Firefox. Poo poo, I have a $20 coaster for my Pepsi Ones.

I now have Debian Linux and all I needed was to download the sound driver and video driver and it works fine. The gnome desktop interface is good, and there is the KDE which is pretty much the same, just nicer looking. Well, it's a bit of a hobby for now. I can't see that I would switch completetly to Linux, at least any time soon.

I will most likely check out Ubuntu sometime and I have heard it's more user friendly. I have heard quite a bit about it on another forum and it sounds like it may catch on more and more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users