Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Legit computer repair?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:56 PM

I have an HP a6120n desktop that I got a few years ago with Windows Vista 32 bit and 2 Gb ram. It’s still a decent machine. I since upgraded to Windows 7 Pro, and then MS was nice enough to upgrade to Windows 10 without even asking me.Isn't that speh shull! Who do you suppose could've prompted MS to do such a thing?...Hmmm?

Sorry, the Church Lady got hold of my computer for a minute there.

I  put in two more gigs ram and another 500 gig hd.

I lost Ethernet access on it the other day. After checking the modem, I took it to a local repair shop who showed good reviews on yelp.

He said the video card is dead, and put in a GeForce 210..and marked it up 200%. I wasn’t sure what the video had to do with it, but he said it’s an integrated chipset.  The Ethernet started working again, but I had no sound. I took it back, and he couldn’t figure it out. So he said he’d reinstall Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

The way he ran it all down to me seemed kinda weird, but I thought I’d go with it since I had few options.

Does any of this sound right to you?

Edited by RbtCmpt, 04 August 2017 - 11:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:18 PM

It sounds as though you may have lost some drivers although hard to say.

Windows 10 doesn't seem to have good driver support for older computers.

Sounds as though your Windows 10 OS may have become problematic after an update and caused you to lose some drivers.

A lost or corrupt driver can keep hardware from working.

If all is working well and you are happy and wasn't overcharged than all is good since you now have a working computer.

How much did all of this cost.

Edited by The-Toolman, 04 August 2017 - 09:44 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:32 PM

So the video was fine when it went in, and it came out with a new GPU in it?

I'd be somewhat 'perturbed' at best!

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:44 PM

if it were me.......I would cut my losses. Get the PC working ok...sell it....add to those funds to buy a 64bit pc or laptop........install Linux....and leave all the dramas behind.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,414 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:04 PM

I would keep it and use it since you have invested money in it.

That PC is 10 years old you will not be able to get much for it if you try to sell it.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01048279

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:34 PM

I didn't know you could be upgraded to Windows 10 from Vista. The repair guy had to have known you could revert back to you old operating system for free. I'd say you got ripped off.

#7 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 12:07 AM

I wasn't having much problems with the video before, although it ran very slow sometimes. I got a few video error messages over the years, but not lately.

I just read on another forum that this is a 32 bit machine. Would it even run on a 64 bit OS?

Edited by hamluis, 05 August 2017 - 10:44 AM.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:27 AM

HP's site says it uses a Core 2 Duo E4400 processor, which is 64 bit. So there's no reason why it couldn't run a 64 bit OS.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users