Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsettling noise coming from GPU when in use by a game.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 NCSGeek

NCSGeek

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

Hello! Any help is apreicated greatly!

While running GPU-Demanding games (In my examples, I was testing with The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition with graphical settings set on High) I get a noise that I am worried is a bad sign, and even if it is harmless, I'd like it fix since it still worries me. I will include 3 files; my PC specs, as full and detailed as I could get them, and two samples of the sound which I recorded.

I will glady provide any additional information, although I tried to provide all that would be needed already. I'm also following this thread via email, and I will respond fervently. Thanks again for anyone who is willing to help.

PS. I did research before-hand and I have heard about 'Coil Whine' but I do not think it is coil whine since my sound is not high pitched, as coil whine is described to be.

Files:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

To help see what might be happening please download Speccy. https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download . This will help us see hardware, temps, and other things that may help find your problem. Please follow the below instructions to post the URL of the report here.

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

that sounds like a fan making that noise,

could be the fan on your GPU board, could also be your CPU fan or a case fan, or power supply fan,

make sure no wires are close to the fans, a wire could be hitting the fans

if your motherboard has a video output, use that and remove your GPU board to see if the noise goes away,

remove the fan from your GPU board and clean it along with the heatsink

Edited by mikey11, 04 August 2017 - 01:51 PM.

#4 NCSGeek

NCSGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:03 PM

that sounds like a fan making that noise,

could be the fan on your GPU board, could also be your CPU fan or a case fan, or power supply fan,

make sure no wires are close to the fans, a wire could be hitting the fans

if your motherboard has a video output, use that and remove your GPU board to see if the noise goes away,

remove the fan from your GPU board and clean it along with the heatsink

Thanks for the reply! I will clean all that I can. Also, I am pretty sure it's the GPU or some part of the GPU since it only happens when playing graphically demanding games. Or does that not necessarily mean that is is definetly the GPU?

To help see what might be happening please download Speccy. https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download . This will help us see hardware, temps, and other things that may help find your problem. Please follow the below instructions to post the URL of the report here.

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Were the provided specs insufficent? I can use your program is needed, but I felt like mine worked fine.

#5 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

Thanks for the reply! I will clean all that I can. Also, I am pretty sure it's the GPU or some part of the GPU since it only happens when playing graphically demanding games. Or does that not necessarily mean that is is definetly the GPU

it could be the GPU fan then,

the higher the GPU temp gets the faster that fan will spin,

and your GPU will get hotter during gaming

#6 NCSGeek

NCSGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the reply! I will clean all that I can. Also, I am pretty sure it's the GPU or some part of the GPU since it only happens when playing graphically demanding games. Or does that not necessarily mean that is is definetly the GPU

Alright, so what I thought is probably the case, it's the GPU. So you would just recommend cleaning it? Or anything else?

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

remove the GPU card, then remove the fan and clean it, also clean the heat sink,

if that doesn't solve it replace the fan,

Edited by mikey11, 04 August 2017 - 02:27 PM.

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:36 PM

Precisely why I requested a Speccy report. It's a very complete look at what might be happening.

#9 NCSGeek

NCSGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:38 PM

remove the GPU card, then remove the fan and clean it, also clean the heat sink,

Alright, I can try that, thank you! And. So you dont think it's an overheating issue? Just needs cleaning?

#10 NCSGeek

NCSGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

Speccy report: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/YTzaGjoYDkuwJQ2nO2tbfOF

#11 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,449 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:04 PM

Alright, I can try that, thank you! And. So you dont think it's an overheating issue? Just needs cleaning?

proper cleaning and fan operation will help keep the temps down,

if it was overheating the GPU would turn off completely,

IMO you have a defective GPU fan, however there is no harm in trying to clean it first

if you remove the heat sink from the GPU you will need to apply new thermal paste when reinstalling the assembly

Edited by mikey11, 04 August 2017 - 03:06 PM.

#12 NCSGeek

NCSGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

proper cleaning and fan operation will help keep the temps down,

if it was overheating the GPU would turn off completely,

IMO you have a defective GPU fan, however there is no harm in trying to clean it first

if you remove the heat sink from the GPU you will need to apply new thermal paste when reinstalling the assembly

Ok thank you. I will do these things as it becomes possible. (I need to buy thermal paste, etc)

#13 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:14 PM

The CPU and GPU temps are at the high side of the preferred temp range but not over heating. I believe  what your hearing is Capacitor Squeal which is caused by a lot of power in the capacitor creating heat.

#14 NCSGeek

NCSGeek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:51 PM

The CPU and GPU temps are at the high side of the preferred temp range but not over heating. I believe  what your hearing is Capacitor Squeal which is caused by a lot of power in the capacitor creating heat.

What would you have me do? The same thing that @mikey11 suggests?

#15 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:26 PM

Pretty much. Capacitor squeal isn't a problem as such. I wouldn't be too concerned unless there are other problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users