Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Old WD Hard Drive Spins up, does not click

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 iKokomo

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

I had an old HD that would not power up, so I replaced the PCB with the exact same model and now it powers on! Yay! 
The only problem is the hard drive does not click at all, the motor just runs, but besides that, there is no other sounds. 
The hard drive never mounts. 
Is there a way to fix this? 
It is a SATA Western Digital WD3200JS
Ps. There is nothing on google about non clicking hard drives, just clicking hard drives.

Edited by iKokomo, 04 August 2017 - 10:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,112 posts
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:53 AM

If you are looking to recover your data did you also swap the ROM chip? HDDs don't normally click, only defective ones.

#3 britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,532 posts
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:14 AM

I don't know exactly how to describe it, and it's much softer for laptop drives than the huge (physically) old desktop drives, but they all make some sort of clicking/ticking sound as they spin up.  I always presumed this was the head positioning mechanism doing it's thing.  You generally have to be very close to hear it, though.  I never notice it when the drives are in place inside the hardware as there are too many other, louder sounds.

I would presume that if one cannot hear this that the drive is dead.

Edited by britechguy, 04 August 2017 - 11:15 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 The-Toolman

• Members
  • 937 posts
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:22 AM

Have you tested the drive to see if you can write to it or read from it.

Inspiration can be found in a pile of junk. Sometimes, you can put it together with a good imagination and invent something. 

[Thomas Edison]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users