Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotspot on Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IDlexx

IDlexx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:50 AM

Hey everyone! 

First of all, I apologize if this isn't the right category, but it sounded right to me. So... Let's get to the subject, right?
I recently got a new phone, and used all my mobile data, so I thought I could activate the Hotspot from my laptop. The thing is, it says "We can't set up a mobile hotspot because your PC doesn't have Ethernet, Wi-fi, or cellular data connection". My question is: can I do anything to fix this? I searched on google and most of the things I found  had to do with the command prompt. I don't want to mess with it, and think this might be an easier way to do it. 

Thanks a lot!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

connect your phone directly to your wireless router/service (im assuming you have one)

you dont need to use your computer to do that

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:59 AM

The way that I am reading the original poster's message is that they believe that the hotspot feature in Windows 10 is that the computer can literally be a hotspot, including the data connection, but it isn't and can't.

The Mobile Hotspot feature of Windows 10 allows the machine to act as a virtual WiFi hotspot but using the data connection it already has to something else, like it's own WiFi connection, ethernet connection, USB tethering to an access point, etc.  Essentially it becomes a router, but not "modem-router" since the modem part of that type of device is the data connection part.

The closest thing to what's being asked for would be if one had a wireless internet dongle and wanted to share its internet connectivity using the computer as the virtual hotspot feature to act as the WiFi router for other devices to connect through it.

If you're out of data on the phone you use as your usual wireless access point for your computer then you're going to have to buy more data or find another way to connect to the internet until your next billing/data cycle occurs.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users