Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to share a direct connection through DSL.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 markskits

markskits

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

Hello, I have a Fiber Connection in my home and a phone line. A little bit ago, I had a service where I shared my Fiber Connection through Dial-Up for $2/Month. 

Dial-Up became too slow and I want to figure out how to share my connection through a DSL line (I have a PBX to test it, if required.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:48 AM

I'm not sure I understand your question? In what regard are you trying to share your Fiber? Are you trying to have individuals establish PPPoE connections to you? To have access to your internal network and resources?

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 markskits

markskits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:58 AM

I'm not sure I understand your question? In what regard are you trying to share your Fiber? Are you trying to have individuals establish PPPoE connections to you? To have access to your internal network and resources?

I'm trying to share my internet connection VIA DSL (at about 1-5mbps) so I can offer a cheap DSL service.

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:19 AM

So are you providing your customers with the DSL Modems necessary to connect to your infrastructure? Also, have you put the infrastructure in place to connect an IXP & CDN network?

Edited by arlattimor, 04 August 2017 - 08:19 AM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#5 markskits

markskits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:49 AM

So are you providing your customers with the DSL Modems necessary to connect to your infrastructure? Also, have you put the infrastructure in place to connect an IXP & CDN network?

I would be providing the customers with DSL modems, but would I have to set up an IXP & CDN connection? I'm just reselling my ISPs 100MBPS speed as 1-5MBPS DSL. And since I'm noob, I don't even know how to setup IXP & CDN anyway.

Pls help

- From Noob

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:52 AM

So let me make sure I understand. Is this a residential connection that you wish to share in the surrounding area of your neighborhood?

A. Lattimore

#7 markskits

markskits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

So let me make sure I understand. Is this a residential connection that you wish to share in the surrounding area of your neighborhood?

exactly. Just a cheap service. (We only have fiber internet here, and they don't wanna pay $70/month)

#8 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:05 AM

Need details there my Young Jedi Apprentice!!! :luke:

A. Lattimore

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:17 AM

So you wish to become your own Mini ISP. How many customers are you trying to support?

A. Lattimore

#10 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,534 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:05 AM

The question needs to be asked, and answered:  Does what's being proposed, even if it were possible, violate the terms of service under the OP's contract with his or her ISP?

I know of many people sharing a connection via WiFi and creating subnets in their modem-routers, which is well nigh impossible to stop.  But what's being proposed here goes well beyond that and involves infrastructure that I can't imagine any random individual has as far as transmission lines.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#11 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

Oh, it's very possible! But I will take the hit for encouraging such a venture by asking those questions. My apologies I have been on shift all night and I'm not thinking clearly. Please forgive my bad judgment.

A. Lattimore

#12 markskits

markskits
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:22 AM

So you wish to become your own Mini ISP. How many customers are you trying to support?

The question needs to be asked, and answered:  Does what's being proposed, even if it were possible, violate the terms of service under the OP's contract with his or her ISP?

I know of many people sharing a connection via WiFi and creating subnets in their modem-routers, which is well nigh impossible to stop.  But what's being proposed here goes well beyond that and involves infrastructure that I can't imagine any random individual has as far as transmission lines.

I'm trying to support just 3-5 customers in my neighborhood, and It does allow that.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

Oh, it's very possible! But I will take the hit for encouraging such a venture by asking those questions. My apologies I have been on shift all night and I'm not thinking clearly. Please forgive my bad judgment.

I don't think that your judgement was bad...you asked questions which I felt were designed to elicit more info about just what the OP had/has in mind.

For the record...from what I see, the TOS from the carrier/ISP...is the determining factor for what can be done, what cannot be done, projected consequences, and so on.  If your provider gives the OK for such...then it seems logical that they will also provide some advice/suggestions on how-to, pitfalls, etc.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 August 2017 - 05:37 PM.

#14 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:41 PM

:cool:  :thumbsup:

A. Lattimore

#15 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:42 PM

I would point out that you can't do DSL. You can't use the telephone company's phone lines. You would have to string your own from each house to yours to create your own DSL network. BTW you can't use their poles either.

Another option is doing wifi for the neighborhood but just the up front cost of equipment and getting the expertize to set this up properly is prohibitive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users